Thursday, March 01, 2007

MY COMFORT AND JOY


This painting o' mine is completed. I think. Okay, I am sure I will still pick at it and add little highlights here and there before I call it done.

Somewhere, somehow, and from someone, I had a photo of this scene. I have no idea who sent it to me with the suggestion that I attempt to paint it. It immediately grabbed me, and I knew I would try to do just that. I could not decide if it would be suited best for acrylics, watercolors, or pastels. The pastels won out. I like the freedom they give me when I use them.

I worked on it far longer than I typically do any of my paintings. It sat on my drafting table while I hovered over it working the pastels into the mix. I had to keep getting up and walking away from it at times. I was not getting the depth right. It was maddening. I finally put it on the easel. There, I was able to work more easily. I could see where details were necessary to give it a three-dimensional quality.

It was a nightmare and a pleasant dream. A source of frustration and delight. An exercise in futility and small success. And through it all, it still brought me contentment. I am certain that is why I play with my paints. They do take me to a place inside of me where tranquility exists. I need to visit it often.

The husband wants this painting for his office. My daughter wants it for her room. My son simply says he likes when I use pastels. And I? I want it for myself.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." ~Vincent Van Gogh

4 comments:

Tammy Brierly said...

Nikki this is beautiful! I really loved the trees ;)XXOO

Gannet Girl said...

I love the reds!

Could you give me the name of that little hotel in Chicago you like so much? Thanks!

TJ said...

Niki :)
I think you have grown with your painting. I am seeing alot of new things here. I am so happy...and I have missed you. Loving it gurl!
Love TJ

Lippy said...

I really hope you're feeling a keen sense of satisfaction with this painting...beautifully done.

I think everyone should get a turn hanging the painting. Beauty such as this needs to be shared as much as possible!