Tuesday, November 22, 2005

TRADITION


Our Thanksgiving Day is spent in a somewhat unusual way in comparison to the majority of families. It is a tradition we have had for a number of years, and so it has become very much a part of how we celebrate.



There was a time when all of us girls, our hubbies, and our children gathered at Mom and Daddy's house for the scrumptious Thanksgiving meal. We girls would help Mom by bringing side dishes and such and also assisting her in whatever way we could. The men did the manly thing...which was nothing. ::grin:: Except for the carving of the turkey which was Daddy's duty (he was a trip with the electric knife), the guys just waited for all of the food to be set out.



We always had a lot of fun. Our family gets along so beautifully. And my God, we laugh a lot.One year as Thanksgiving approached, Daddy came up with an idea. It was actually more of a decision than an idea. He informed us that he felt Mom did not get to fully enjoy the holiday, because she was so busy cooking and making certain everything was just so. Therefore, Daddy had made reservations for the Thanksgiving meal at a private club. We were none too sure how we felt about that. It seemed so un-Thanksgiving-like. We did find it sweet that his concern was for Mom, though. The reservations were for 11:00 a.m., and that would allow those who had in-laws in town to be able to have dinner with them later in the day. Since the club was more of a dressy place, we had to dress appropriately.



Thanksgiving Day arrived. We entered the ivy-covered old stone building and made our way to the dining room. Oh my! It was beautiful. Crystal chandeliers, a grand piano, floral arrangements, white tablecloths. But it was the food that sent everyone into orbit. There were massive tables filled with anything and everything you could imagine. The little ones thought they were pretty snazzy getting to choose what they wanted and how much. The idea of being able to return for more thrilled them. Waiters and waitresses saw to our beverage needs and the removal of our plates as we went up to get each course of food. I do not like stuffing. (Eh, I KNOW it is tradition, but it just holds no appeal to me.) BUT they had oyster stuffing. Mmm. Only my grandmother made that, and it was the only time I would ever eat it. That year, I piled some on my plate and loved it. The turkey was done to perfection, as was the ham and the salmon. The dessert table should have been photographed for a food magazine. It was gorgeous. All that food, all delicious, and I must have the world's smallest stomach. I cannot eat enormous amounts. When I am full, I am full. Daddy sat at the head of the table and literally beamed throughout the meal. He knew he had scored big time with all of us! Plus, he got to enjoy seeing his entire family at one heckuva long table eating and chattering and laughing. He was in his glory. And Mom was spared cooking and cleaning. It was a huge hit. It was decided we would repeat it the following year. (We have also had occasional Easter meals there, too.)



During the years Daddy was ill, we were able to take him there for Thanksgiving one time. He was in his wheelchair, and he had to be fed. But it kept him a part of something he began. Sadly, he was never able to attend again. It seemed he always developed pneumonia or was in the hospital at that time. Then, he grew too weak to even sit in a wheelchair. We still went to the club each Thanksgiving. I was the lone dissenter. I did not want to go if he could not join us. Majority ruled and I did not want to disappoint the rest of the family by not going, so I went.



We are once again going there this Thursday. My father-in-law will be joining us. He is planning on spending a few days here with hubby, the kids, and me. I do have a very good time. I love being with my family. But there is always a twinge I feel knowing that that one very special and very loved person is no longer sitting at the head of the table casting his twinkling eyes upon us. There is some comfort when I think he is probably smiling because we have kept his tradition very much alive.



Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and yours. No matter what, we have much to be thankful for.



"To speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live gratitude is to touch Heaven." ~Johannes A. Gaertner

2 comments:

Judith HeartSong said...

I wish you a wonderful holiday filled with family and friends.

Tawnya said...

have a wonderful thanksgiving and be safe....tawnya