Thursday, December 14, 2006

BLUE


My Christmas is a blue one. No, not blue as in depressed. Blue as in the color. It happened largely by accident, and what a lovely accident it has been.

I am always very particular about the gift wrap I use each year. Probably far too particular, and I spend a ridiculous amount of time finding the one that makes me ooh and ahh when I see it. After searching and searching for that special kind, I came across it. It is in beautiful shades of blue with white snowflakes scattered all over it. Yay! I snatched up mega rolls of it.

The Christmas cards I mailed depict a blue snow scene taken from a picture I had painted in watercolors. (Winkflash.com does a smashing good job of turning a picture of your choice into Christmas cards~as well as other cards~, and you can write your own greeting inside.) After I had painted the picture, I thought it would be a good one to use on cards. See, more blue!

I designed and printed my return address labels, and I was able to miniaturize the image I used for my cards to put on those labels. Even the postage stamps I used had blue on them...snowflakes!


The other significant blue item is something I have done for my son. He is colorblind. Greens and reds appear as shades of gray to him. Green is particularly difficult for him to distinguish. He has never cared for white lights on a tree, and I can understand why. How pretty is it to look at a gray tree with white on it? In the past, I have used multicolored lights on the kids' tree and white ones on the formal tree. His favorite color and one he appreciates the most is blue. And because of that, I decided it was high time that I made the tree ultra special for him. I bought hundreds of blue lights for it. No other colors, solely blue. (::grin:: Sounds like a K-Mart blue light special, doesn't it?) It fits in so well with my unintentional blue theme.

I am grateful the "bad kind" of blue has not crept into my mood this holiday season. I have had moments when I have done battle with the seasonal blues, but I have triumphed over them. Ah, I do so hope that is an ongoing trend.

Peace and contentment is what I wish for. Maybe these blues will help fulfill that wish. ::smile::

"Blue oblivion, largely lit, smiled and smiled at me." ~William R. Benet

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your a cool mom, to go out of the way for your son. I didn't know that a person who is color blind see gray instead of whatever color it is that they cannot see. It never occurred to me. I guess I learned something new again. LOL