Sunday, January 21, 2007

COLOR MY WORLD


The other nite someone asked me to name my favorite color. My response was that I like all colors and do not have a favorite. That was laughingly called a "bullshit answer." And yet, it is true. I do like every single color. They all have a place where they look radiant.

We went back and forth a bit about it. He said life is about choices. Choosing. He is quite correct. It was suggested that I could have replied, "I choose not to choose a favorite color." Okay. But had I said that, it would have given him no real insight into me and the way I think, would it? I believe he asked the question to learn more about me. And learn he did!

His question was a difficult one. It was not a simple one to answer like when I am returning a wedding reception RSVP and have to choose whether or not I want my dinner to be beef, chicken, fish, or vegetarian.

We are talking COLORS. There are endless colors, and I am to select one as my absolute favorite? Impossible. You see, had he asked what was my favorite color for a car, color to wear, color for a house, hair color, etc., I would have had a chance to be specific.

In retrospect, he wanted a black and white answer to a question that resides in a world of gray...and blue...and red...and purple...and yellow...and green...and pink...and orange...and gold...and...

"Color is my day-long obsession, joy, and torment." ~Claude Monet

2 comments:

Bon & Mal Mott said...

I'm with you - my choice of color may well depend upon my mood, or something I have recently seen or heard, or ... it all depends.
I have also been thinking about the use of cosmetics (at base the use of color enhancement) which date at least as far back as the Egyptian dynasties.
Archeologists seem to take it for granted that males perpetrated the ancient cave painting, but that may be gender bias, as females were more likely to be observers of a hunt, rather than participants, and therefore more likely to be able to delineate a hunt at a distance.
Just some random thoughts.
Bonnie and Walt

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya on this one...I can't answer questions like that either. I'm never good with choosing my favorite anything cuz I have so many!

Love,
Nancy