Tuesday, January 16, 2007

REJUVENATED


Whether or not this painting o'mine I just completed is any good is almost unimportant to me. Two reasons why that is the case. First one being that I had never before done a landscape scene using pastels instead of acrylics or watercolors. This was like a test for me to see how I would go about creating one. The second is where my thoughts took me while painting it.

I believe I have figured out how to use the pastels when painting a landscape. I am eager to attempt a completely different type of one soon. Maybe one with trees and a stream. Maybe a field of flowers. Maybe one more contemporary and far less structured. I will have to see where my imagination takes me.

As for my thoughts during the creation of this painting, I loved what I was thinking. Most of the paintings I do usually have so much "more" to them than anyone else can see or than I am capable of expressing with whichever medium I use. What I kept thinking over and over is that even though something is timeworn and perhaps appearing somewhat decrepit (in this case that would be the barns), there is life brought to it with the emergence of something new (the hollyhocks). Before I painted the flowers, the barns stood out as being dilapidated but still sturdy enough to be useful. The cracks and holes in the wood were very prominent. Yet once the hollyhocks began to be added, a softness crept into the scene. They seemed to revitalize the barns with their freshness. I envisioned a farmer's wife planting those flower seeds. Perhaps she wanted to add a touch of beauty to the plain view of the barns and the overgrown grass. Still, it was the way the barns became transformed with the addition of new life that stayed with me.

It made me realize that no matter how old people become and how their ages might show in their faces or in the way they move, there is always some source of beauty that can come to them in any number of ways and rejuvenate them. Restore their energy and sense of purpose and soften the passage of time.

Ah, I think I think too much sometimes.

"We must always change, renew, rejuvenate ourselves; otherwise we harden." ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

4 comments:

Vedrana M. said...

it's really lovely :) and great job if it's the first landscape done with poastels
xxx

Tammy Brierly said...

I don't think you think too much. Your feelings have been pouring out through art and I'm right here watching your thoughts unfold. Lovely & wise! HUGS

Anonymous said...

I love this. It captures your thoughts beautifully. Yes, there is always new life, constantly evolving, in even the oldest of people, places, or things. And what a great thing that is. Life would be so boring if it weren't so !

Lippy said...

If only more people would "think too much" in this fashion. The biggest source of life is happiness and inspiration. I don't believe anything or anyone should be beyond rejevenation. It's all part of what gives us hope.

The painting is beautiful. Goes well with the entry!