Friday, April 27, 2007

A HOME FOR EVERYTHING


This is a photograph of my daughter's new pet. Do I hear a collective "Awwww, isn't it so adorable" from all of you? Nah, I did not think so. ::grin::

Yep, this snake was a birthday gift to my daughter. One of her friends gave it to her. She was elated to receive it. My first reaction was not particularly a joyful one. I had mucho questions to ask before I knew whether or not to be calm or to wring the neck of her friend.

Calm won...eventually.

Since the death of our poochie near the end of December, my daughter keeps visiting pet stores and The Humane Society. She is on the prowl for a dog. Nuh uh. No way. I am not emotionally ready to replace that little bundle of white fur with another canine. Nor do I want a cat. I have endured a few snit fits from her when I put down my foot and refused to let her bring home any four-legged pet.

And it got me a snake in the house. So much for working around Mom's rules.

My daughter likes Khleo. He slithers around her wrist, up her back (and mine), and basically just travels and winds itself around anything and everything. She tends to him well making sure his aquarium home is the correct temperature and the water in the bowl is kept clean.

I admit I let out a semi-subdued shriek when the daughter told me there was a mouse in my freezer. WHAAAAAAAT? Oh yeah, she said. It is what I am to feed the snake. I told her under no circumstances was I to SEE the mouse. Fortunately, the mice are kept in plastic bags inside of a brown paper bag. All she has to do is heat each bag in warm water before feeding it to Khleo. I refer to them as "boil in a bag" dinners. And I take no part in doing it or observing it. I sure as heck am not going to watch it being devoured.

But, this snake adds to my daughter's happiness, and, in turn, that makes me happy.

I am a softy. ::sigh::

"I've always liked reptiles. I used to see the universe as a mammoth snake, and I used to see all the people and objects, landscapes, as little pictures in the facets of their scales. I think peristaltic motion is the basic life movement." ~Jim Morrison


Run your fingers through my soul~

3 comments:

Tammy Brierly said...

Ok, happy kid I get...snake, no way jose! lol Mice in the freezer...NIKKI? BIG HUG or MOM OF THE YEAR or SHE'S LOST IT

Kris said...

A snake wouldn't be my first choice for a pet. Two words: LIVE FOOD.

I, too, lost my beloved dog last July. It's hard to think of replacing him. One day you'll be ready, and maybe so will I.

--Kris

redsneakz said...

Well, I guess since Thing2 keeps a lizard, I really wouldn't complain too much about a snake.

Well, except for the mouse thing.