Monday, December 26, 2005

THE AFTERMATH

It came. It went. But, not before leaving a multitude of remembrances in my mind. Ones I shall call up whenever I choose; others that will come to me at unexpected moments.

My son taking longer than most women do to get ready to attend the Christmas Eve church service. Blaming me with a twinkle in his eye for driving too slow when we arrived with scant minutes to spare before the service began.

My daughter and husband singing during the lighting of the church congregation's candles.

The surprised and happy looks on my hubby's face when he opened my gifts to him.

The appreciation my kids had for each and every present Santa left for them. The parental pride felt knowing they understood the hard work Santa puts in day in and day out to be able to lavish them with such gifts once a year.

The six-hour extravaganza at my mother's house. Hearing laughter and giggles and nonstop chattering throughout her house as 22 people gathered to celebrate Christmas Day.

Gifts galore. The best gift of all? Noticing the haunted look that has been in my mother's eyes since Daddy's death was not there...and knowing she was able to push aside her own current health problems for the day.

I cannot record here, on paper, or on film all that this Christmas of 2005 embodied. No matter how much I tell about the day, I will still be unable to do it justice.

There is but one word that repeatedly comes to mind when thinking about every single part of this wondrous holiday I experienced:

LOVE.

"Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." ~Barbara De Angelis

6 comments:

Christina K Brown said...

Then indeed it was a perfect day.


xxoo

Chris said...

It sounds like the holiday was absolutely perfect for you. Love does make all the difference!

Bon & Mal Mott said...

"The haunted look ..." Yes, I remember that look in my father's eye. He never really got over it, though he pretended to.
It's wonderful that you were all able to experience the holiday as it was meant to be.
Bon & Mal

Sie said...

It sounds exactly like the way Christmas should be.

And TAG.

TJ said...

To have a Christmas so beautiful you can even put in words....wow.
And to know your mom is accepting the loss had to be even more then we can imagine.
The tag you liked for my blog is a photo manipulation, done in paint shop pro. I got an easle for Christmas....I am so excite. Thank you for your visit.Your entry phtot was beautiful!
TJ

Abadiebitch said...

vSounds great! I love kindness.