Sunday, May 21, 2006

G IS FOR GLASS


Moksha had written a Sisterhood Sunday entry asking if we thought the art of calligraphy had been lost in this day and age of computer-generated calligraphy. It was interesting to read the comments left in that particular post. And as usually occurs after reading something that stirs my mind, it had me thinking about other lost arts.

We pay quite a premium now to have beautiful furniture crafted for us, yet it was once considered a common practice to create finely-detailed pieces. But, with the development of machinery to "carve" and manufacture the wood into furniture, few people are left who can genuinely make elaborate furniture from scratch. It is the charm of the old world furniture and other objects that I believe has turned me into an antiques lover.

My aunt spent many years researching her family tree (which, of course, would also be my family tree on my mother's side). She had help from various organizations like the Mormons. They keep amazing detailed records. When all was said and done, our family tree was one of the most fascinating and extensive ones most people have ever seen. Some of my ancestors were royalty, and others were peasants. I have a poster-sized copy of the tree that my aunt turned into something of a piece of art. She is a gifted artist who paints oil portraits.

Anyway, one of my more recent ancestors is my great grandfather. His profession was that of a glass blower. My mother did not know him, since he died at a very young age. His lungs suffered from his profession and caused his death. I have watched people blow glass, and it impressed me to see the process they used to create such lovely and fragile items. Rare now is the occasion when someone declares their occupation as glass blower.

Two years ago my son, his girlfriend, her parents, and my husband and I went to an exhibit at a local conservatory. Displayed were the blown glass pieces created by a man named Dale Chihuly. The man's work is beyond belief. Certainly you can see the wonders he has crafted in the above photographs I took. He excelled in working with glass until he was left blind in one eye as a result of a car accident. His depth perception was affected, but his love for his work kept him from walking away from it. To compensate for his disability, he has his selected artists work with the molten glass based on his paintings. One of his well-known accomplishments is making sculptures out of the blown glass. The entire conservatory was filled with his works. The way it was set up was stunning, because it seemed to bring to life even further all of the lush greenery that is a constant part of the conservatory. To see glass flowers among the foliage was a treat for the eyes. Some of the glass was even set into ceiling panels. The sculptures were mindboggling. I found it difficult to be pulled away from one to go see another. Such talent. Such a gift to be able to produce works of art that leave others enchanted and wanting more.

All too often I wish more of the "lost arts" would return...along with a less hurried lifestyle that was once upon a time.

"A lot of work I do is nature inspired or looks like it might come from nature, but I don't look specifically at something to make it. I just sort of have a natural feeling for using glass - trying to take advantage of the colour and transparency that glass offers and the ability to take this ancient material which is blown with human air, this magical material." ~Dale Chihuly

3 comments:

Kelly said...

glass blowing is (well for lack of a better term) amazing - and you're right, art is often easily forgotten!

Tammy Brierly said...

I saw a special on glass blowing and it was fantastic! I loved doing pottery, back in the day. Out here in the country yyou still see wood carving quite a bit. I was also watching a man on tv who hand painted silk kimonos and he said the next generation does not care enough.

Love to you my friend

TJ said...

I have watched it several times at special shops. Wow! How they can twist, turn adding colors if way beyond my imagaination. The hardest part would be to do two the very same...that is what makes it so cool.
On the antique road show one single piece went for $75,000 and it was a masters piece. Neat that you actualy have so many taklented people in your bacjground...kinda explains it all now kiddo!
Love Ya
TJ