Tuesday, October 17, 2006

IMPERFECT SPEAKER~Self-Portrait Challenge, October, Week 3


Anyone who looks at me in my real world sees a confident and exuberant woman who is easily able to converse with anybody and everybody. I think I carry myself well, and I am genuinely delighted when I can make people smile or laugh and gab to me.

But lurking beneath that overtly outgoing and sometimes outspoken exterior is someone who is positively terrified of public speaking. It sends me into a minor panic if I think I will find myself in a situation requiring me to speak before a group of people, however large or small.

Because of my dreaded fear, I have successfully gotten myself out of being a PTO president, a guest on two television news shows, speaking at an awards presentation, and the chairman of a local children's hospital benefit group (although I chaired the annual bazaar for our group, because minimal public speaking was involved), among various other functions.

I hid my reason for turning down those requests to all except the school principal. He was stunned to learn that I trembled even thinking about addressing a group of people. He pointed out that I had always offerred suggestions, cracked jokes, added needed information, etc., at PTO meetings, so he was puzzled by my fear.

And that is the problem. I do very well voicing my opinion when I feel it is necessary. I take risks (as far as potentially embarrassing myself) by making jokes to large or small crowds of people. Maybe the critical difference is that I speak when I choose to, not when the time is chosen FOR me.

In high school when speech class was a required course, I was a mess leading up to my turn to stand before my peers and speak. Yet, I got an A in that class. One speech I recall as if it happened but yesterday. Our assignment was to present a persuasion speech about any topic we wished. We were being graded on many different aspects, not solely the content of the speech. The teacher had a legal-sized grading sheet she was using to check off whether or not we met each requirement. I gave my speech, complete with the feeling that I was going to be sick. After it was over, the teacher handed me that long form. No check marks were on it. All that was written diagonally across the entire page was, "A+...WOW."

I have given telephone interviews without batting an eye. Ah, but over the phone is so very much easier. My throat does not clutch while I speak during those times. I have written speeches for others to read. And they do. My words are not a problem. I am the problem. I am so afraid. I just hide the fear from others. And I do not think I can ever get past my fear. I know I CAN do it, but I do not want to. No, I do not want to.

(October's
Self-Portrait Challenge theme is: "Look beyond the surface of your life, dig into your imperfect self and reveal it to us. I want to see the down and dirty you, the messy, gross and ugly you, the side of yourself that you always try to hide, give us some insight into your dreadful secrets. This can be your physical self or your personal space or within your wider life. Be not afraid!")

8 comments:

Tigger said...

Wow!!! I too don't like public speaking. I used to write (when I was in 8th grade) speached for college speech courses for a couple of friends. They always got great grades, but I could never give those speeches. I guess we are "behind the scenes" people. Tawnya

Bon & Mal Mott said...

If it makes you feel any better, here is how i conquered my fear of public speaking in 7th grade -
when notified that we would be required to recite a poem in front of the whole class, i deliberately chose Coleridge's "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner". By the end of my recital, the class had either glazed over or actively resented my choice. Coleridge would have been proud.
And i have now become that "grey-beard loon!

Hugs,
Bonnie and Walt

Nancy said...

I think that fear of public speaking is up there with the top 3 phobias.

You can still be all those wonderful things that you are. If you choose to work on changing the fear, you will. If not, so be it.

You're still wonderful!

Love,
Nancy
PS. Beautiful photo

Anonymous said...

Public speaking does induce anxiety! I'm with you there. Great entry. :)

Anonymous said...

Nikki - never in million years would I have pegged you for a fear of public speaking. Isn't it amazing that even though you're so afraid of it others think that you're brilliant at it? Thank you for sharing the vulnerable places in your life.

Hugs
Meg

Lippy said...

This is something I have in common with you. I have the capability to do the things we fear, and on those occasions when there was no choice for me, I did well. It's more a matter of working myself into a frenzy, then finding a way out of things that makes me crazy. I am definitely not living up to my potential.

Just one thought...never say never.

Jeremy Stockwell said...

Cool picture. Yeah, you're not alone in this fear. I've been lucky to avoid even being asked to do this professionally, but I remember trembling in college 'Speech' class.

Anonymous said...

This entry sounds way too familiar to me ! I am one of those people who can walk into a crowded room and converse with anybody ... but don't put me up in front of people, or I begin to stammer and shake. The only time I was able to get in front of a crowd of people and speak was at the memorial service of a dear friend who passed away. Somehow, I think he was there holding my hand. I don't know any other explanation. Tina