Monday, November 06, 2006

DRESSED IN SHIRT & TIE...KINDA~Self-Portrait Challenge, November~Week 1

November's Self-Portrait Challenge theme: "Lets ditch those imperfections and go all out GLAM. Yes lets glam it up with some disco, diamonds and glitter. I suggest some gorgeous shots - really over do it on the posing and makeup and dressups and show us the extrovert you. The sexy mama in the kitchen with the peek-a-boo apron or how about some diamontes on those dungarees, stillettos, feathers and lycra. Looking for ideas then go no further than Glam Rock as your inspiration, KISS, David Bowie, and Queen and Garry Glitter. Glam means dressing androgynously in make up and glittery, florid costumes such as David Bowie during his Ziggy Stardust phase or The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Get Glam everyone!"

I laughed while posing for this week's self-portrait. I felt about as dippy as I did when I shut the car door on my head. Bad part is that the latter was accidental; the former was intentional. Ah, the things I do. No telling what will be next on the list.

After reading this month's theme, the following went through my mind: first, I am so not androgynous; second, I do not pile on make up...ever; and third, glam is not particularly a look I have ever tried to achieve.

My mind went completely blank coming up with a single idea, and I thought I might have to skip this month's challenge. Then, I realized how much I do love the comfort of a man's dress shirt. I adore wearing a nice, crisp white dress shirt with skinny jeans or only the shirt...barely buttoned. And from that thought, I came up with this androgynous...kinda...pose. The hubby loved it. He reallllly loved it. ::grin::

This is not glam nor am I wearing any makeup except bright red lipstick and nail polish (which I retained in this black and white shot through the wonders of PSP), but it is my nod to androgony and as close to androgynous as I get. Besides, David Bowie's Ziggy will never be equaled by anyone. A true genius resides within that talented man.

14 comments:

Vedrana M. said...

good to hear you didn't skip this month's challenge :) and shirt is a great thing!

TJ said...

Now this wqas a nice surprise this morning. I am smiling as I can totally relate to the white shirt and tie. I love the adventure and creative side of you.
Love TJ

Georgia said...

Nice:)

When I first looked at it, it looked like you were smoking a cigarette not blowing a kiss.... I thought, Oooohhh, she just got done doing something naughty!!!!! :)

Love it to pieces!!!

xoxo
Georgia

Jod{i} said...

Oh Nikki! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW!
Peace
jo

Barry Wallace said...

I think this is a great picture. Good job, Nikki - at least you're capturing the spirit of SPC this month so far.

Anonymous said...

Love this picture. Very sexy I must say. I'm sury your hubby did love it! Have a great day!

Deb R said...

Very fun and sexy photo! I can see why your husband loves it. :-)

And despite the SPC description, I don't think glam is necessarily synonymous with androgynous at all. Nothing wrong with some FemGlam, which is the direction I'm going this month.

Anonymous said...

you look great! very deacadent, in a good way.

Kim Carney said...

Wow, You looked all-glammed-up...

Anonymous said...

Nice look : white shirt, black tie and red lip and nail accessories :-)

hollibobolli said...

Perfect. I love the big white shirt with red lipstick look.. it's so sexy - and you definitely did it justice. Woo Woo!!!

Anonymous said...

I love it! You did a great job, very confident and sexy.

Anonymous said...

Nice pic, my friend ! I always wanted to do one of those 'gal in tophat and tails' pics, but never did get up the nerve, or was able to find the right clothes for it. Would be fun. I wonder if my husband would like it, too? Good for you ! Tina

Anonymous said...

I like your shot. And I love Ziggy Stardust too, who doesn't? :)