Monday, November 27, 2006

FRAMED GLAM~Self-Portrait Challenge, November, Week 4

I am not sorry to see this month's theme come to an end. Portraying myself as glamorous or in glamorous ways is simply not who I am. It is a stretch for me to even view myself in that manner. Yes, I can don the glitter and sparkles and be charming when I am out on the town, but i do not like to think of that as trying to achieve a look of glamour. I view it as only trying to look the best I can.

Hubby just threw a birthday dinner party for me at a swanky restaurant. Because of my dislike to be center stage, he acquiesced to my wishes and only invited my sisters, their husbands, and my mother. We had a private room with every fabulous touch down to the smallest of details taken care of. It was wonderful. It was fun. It was scrumptious.

My mother and I are friends. The best of friends. She had all four of us girls later in life after suffering three miscarriages. Our age difference means nothing and does not interfere with the friendship we have developed over the years. She is a lovely woman who also happens to have manners that would put Emily Post to shame.

And I love her to smithereens. SHE is what glamour is all about, to me. Hers is a quiet glamour. It is not derived from the jewelry or clothing or money she possesses. No, it comes from her being confident enough to wear whatever she wishes regardless of whether or not others will perceive her as looking "so last year" or "frumpy" or any other derogatory adjectives. It comes from the softness of her voice and the kindness she shows others. It comes from her beautiful complexion that is natural and not purchased from a cosmetics department or a plastic surgeon. Her quiet glamour cannot be overlooked BECAUSE of its elegant understatement.

How proud I am that she is my mother. I think you can see that pride in this portrait taken of the two of us at my birthday party, which I framed.



November's Self-Portrait Challenge is: "Lets ditch those imperfections and go all out GLAM. Yes lets glam it up with some disco, diamonds and glitter. I suggest some gorgeous shots - really overdo it on the posing and makeup and dressups and show us the extrovert you. The sexy mama in the kitchen with the peek-a-boo apron or how about some diamontes on those dungarees, stillettos, feathers and lycra. Looking for ideas then go no further than Glam Rock as your inspiration, KISS, David Bowie, and Queen and Garry Glitter. Glam means dressing androgynously in make up and glittery, florid costumes such as David Bowie during his Ziggy Stardust phase or The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Get Glam everyone!"

8 comments:

Barry Wallace said...

As always, having such fun in whatever you do :) Great picture of you and your mom!

Anonymous said...

Lovely portrait of you and your mother! You both look very elegant. Hope you had a lovely birthday dinner.

I've found the glamour theme a bit of a stretch too, much harder even than imperfection. I guess we wouldn't do it if we didn't love a challenge?

Anonymous said...

Awww!!!! I can see the love just pouring out of the frame. You are so fortunate to find your best friend in your mom. Wonderful tribute to your mom.

Vedrana M. said...

beautiful story...it's great to have mother as a friend

Anonymous said...

I, too, have been terrible about commenting, and even failing to read, other than in great haste -- but what a great post to which to return! You and your mother are both beautiful women -- and very fortunate.

Deb R said...

You're both beautiful!

Jod{i} said...

okay so I honor your request and will not comment above, but you did not say I couldnt here...
My only words, as I have chills running through me?
I hear you, I am with you, I love you Nikki!

Tammy Brierly said...

You're beautiful inside and out!

love
xxoo