Wednesday, March 15, 2006

DEFEAT

There were so many of them. Within reach. I brought my hands together and was certain I had been able to capture at least one. I tingled inside with the knowledge that I had managed to obtain that which I had yearned for. My hands remained cupped around my celestial prize. A smile adorned my face while I savored the moment.

Carefully I parted my fingers, eager to peek at the glow I held. I saw only darkness. How could that be? Nothing was there to be seen. I turned my hands, palms up. My eyes met emptiness. And I felt myself spiraling downward into bleak defeat. Engulfed in a sadness that refused to relinquish its hold on me.

The saddest part is that I caused a kind old man to well up with tears as he watched me give in to my thinly-veiled despair. And I cannot forgive myself for that.

"But what we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope." ~George Eliot

5 comments:

Tammy Brierly said...

This was beautiful! You can write lady. :)

V said...

Aw, but Defeat can be so beautifully written!
Hugs,
V

Christina K Brown said...

I've only seen the glow around my pets...never my hands.

But you've done a delightful job describing this.

V said...

Woo Hoo!
New WWWC Mrmber!
Hugs,
V

Bedazzzled1 said...

I can handle the defeat/despair in my own way and with the aid of time. It is the pain I caused that elderly gentleman that crushes me to the core.