Saturday, March 18, 2006

INTERPRETATIONS

I think our own interpretations of a piece of artwork are sometimes more interesting than the art itself. When a painting is very realistic, everyone can agree on what it depicts. For example, if it is a portrait of a woman, we all would be in total agreement about that. What would differ among us would be what we saw in the woman. Is she contemplative? Sad? Wistful? Should the painting be of a landscape, we might see the same scene, but what we envision about that place would vary.

We can look at more abstract work, and it is far easier for there not only to be many more interpretations, but also many more things to interpret. Those paintings are more obtuse. And that opens the door for our minds to explore all there is about the works. I am unsure too many people would ever come away with identical thoughts about such paintings.

The Write Words Writing Club had a picture over a month ago that a few people selected for their entries. I have never been a collector of abstract work. I am not a contemporary decorator. However, every once in awhile, I am taken by a painting or picture that is definitely unlike my usual preferences. That was the case with this picture. What I immediately saw in the picture was quite different from the interpretations of those who wrote about it.

I saved that picture. I knew at some point in time I would want to write about it. I was not certain when or in what style I would write, just that I would. The time is now.


The lust released,

spent in a fury

of reckless need.

The intimate act

merely an attempt

to fill a void.

An ache for love

the impetus

for their coupling.

Turning away,

closed eyes concealing

the pain of emptiness.

8 comments:

Red said...

Nikki,
Well written. :O)

V said...

Nikki, you must have spent a lot of time pondering this. The poem is perfect!
What terrific work you`ve been doing. You`ve been blessed.
V

Ann Marie said...

Awe Nikki ... it's a sad poem :( It's got to be the saddest thing on Earth when people don't connect ... specially during intamacy. Such an important buzz to miss. I appreciate the thoughts of I love you kissed here and here and here. Think we'll offer a special prayer for your people to open their eyes and heart. :) Love you~~!

xoxoxo Us

Globetrotter said...

I am in awe of your talent and insight girl!

You've really nailed this one. And how sad but true that this happens far too often in the sex act for people who just wanted love and affection in the first place.

I've been told by my last 2 teachers that I am very abstract in my art. That came as a complete shock to me. The only abstract piece I thought I'd done was the one that you liked. But I guess if you want realism, go for the photograph instead. The Impressionists became the movers and shakers of the art world in the late 1800's because they refused to do what they had been taught, which was to paint realistically. Catching a fleeting impression of something or slivers of light that only the painter has seen is certainly going to leave much open for interpretation. I certainly agree with you there.

YOur mind works beautifully for abstract painting my dear. I have been thinking about the painting that you did which you posted in your last entry. You called the post "Defeat". You should have called it HOPE because that's what I see when I look at that painting-hope. You could easily design Unicef Christmas cards with works like that!

Keep writing and painting. You have much to give to our world...

XOXOX
Maryanne

TJ said...

When I first seen this art I thought very close to the same emotions. Your words of course Nailed it.
Some of the loneliest times I have spent as a women has been with the one man I love laying next me, mostly in my 30's.
Those are the worse feelings of all...so close yet so far away.
Loved your entry.
Please post it in writers club,it was Photo #01 for the first week in Feb. so your entry would be so perfect.
TJ

Tammy Brierly said...

Nikki, I love what you did here! You are very good and need to post it to the WWWC blog. Share that awesome gift.

Just don't stick it near mine, I'm very green and it will show. Teehee

Woohoo!
XXOO

Gannet Girl said...

I am SURE I posted a comment here yesterday. Oh well. What it said was that my original response to the painting was pretty much exactly reflected by your words, and that I was surprised to find other people had such different reactions.

Jod{i} said...

Wow!
Powerful words for a powerful image...Great writing Nikki!

Love it!

Jodi