Saturday, March 04, 2006

A TOUCH OF CHRISTMAS IN MARCH


I have decided to use the above painting of mine for my 2006 family Christmas card. How nice to know I will not be hunting for the "right" card during the hustle and bustle of that holiday season. I will be able to write my own verse to have printed inside, too. I will like that. I will need to take a photograph of my children to insert into each print I have made of this painting-turned-card.

It is not as though I set out in the waning days of February to paint a picture that would be suitable for a Christmas card. The painting was for the art class I take. The winter session of my class is quickly coming to a close, and our latest assignment was to paint a snow landscape.

I found a photograph (where it came from I have no earthly idea) that seemed to be perfect to paint. It captured three of my loves: the snow, sleds (preferably antique ones), and Christmas. Except for the sled and wreath, the rest of the picture was all in white and shades of blues. It reminded me of black and white pictures where only one object is colorized. It was from that photograph that I painted this.

As with my last painting of the church entry, this painting is very small. The measurements are about 4-1/2" x 6-1/2". Being a person who thrives on details, I have found it challenging to incorporate detail work into tiny paintings. I do not give up easily, so I have been plugging away on it. I was happy to finish it. I completed it just a bit ahead of schedule, which means I do not have to scramble to be certain I have all my work done when the class is over in two weeks.

And you know what? I actually LIKE this painting o'mine. If you knew how I feel about 99% of the pictures I paint, you would know it is unlike me to be pleased with the final result. I think it helped that my instructor was very complimentary. Some of the students in my class are the ones who suggested it be used for my Christmas card. With that kind of encouragement, it probably helped me be less critical of it.

Next week's class will be interesting and very different. We are to do an experimental painting with absolutely no idea in mind what it is we are going to portray. I am unsure how that works, but the teacher said he will demonstrate prior to us putting brushes to our watercolor paper.

I always have a good time in the class. This particular session has been unique for me in that I have tried some things I never had previously. I used different brushes than I typically use. Miniaturizing my work is a new experience. The experimental project will be another new one.

Maybe one day I will find my niche. But in the meantime, I plan on continuing to enjoy the journey.

"Painting is silent poetry." ~Simonides of Ceos, quoted by Plutarch

9 comments:

Globetrotter said...

It is quite lovely, girl! I love the serenity of the pale blues and white of the paper juxtaposed against those gorgeous vibrant greens and red! What a contrast!

I can see that you are a detail painter, as I always tended to be before I started this latest class. The new class with oil has forced me to give that up temporarily because the teacher forces us to paint with a palette knife only and sketch only an vague impression of what the subject is going to be, usually conveyed with a couple odd-ball circles and triangles in a pastel crayon.

I found it very challenging at first but I am getting used to it. I know she is trying to teach us color and not composition, but my hubby just looks at my oils and says, "What in God's name is that supposed to be?" He made fun of my lavender fields until I told him how much the class admired the painting. "Just shows what you know!" I said.

Oh well.... It's wonderful to learn new things from a teacher and I can certainly see why you are pleased with this result. How will you reproduce it for the cards, I'm wondering?

That is such a wonderful idea.... designing your own Christmas card. You are the most Joyous Christmas Slut ever!

Bedazzzled1 said...

Thank you, Maryanne. There are online companies that will turn the uploaded image you send them into cards. You get to create your verse, the quality of paper, etc. OR I can always print them here at home using card stock paper and one of my imaging programs. My art teacher uses a specific online company when he has his paintings turned into note cards and Christmas cards.

DEREK said...

love it, quite beautiful. Your set!

Derek

BlogOmar said...

Me likes!

Tammy Brierly said...

This will make a great Christmas card! I love the color against the snow. Just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

XXXOOO

TJ said...

That is a great painting project. I can see why you liked it!
I like reading about how you feel about the art, it gives me hope.
Ya know you would think at this point in my life I would allow more time for everything...I always feel rushed.
TJ

Kris said...

Coming from someone who is never satisfied with what she paints, I admire your willingness to share your art with us. I especially like this piece. It's going to make a stunning Christmas card.

Bedazzzled1 said...

Blu? My stomach twists and feels sick when I display my paintings in my blog. HOWEVER, I think it is for my own good that I do it to help me get past thinking I have to be perfect or excellent. I am only learning...and perhaps one day I will get better. It also helps that I cannot see the horrified looks or hear the laughter if I show it to online folks! LOL!

Christina K Brown said...

Maybe one day I will find my niche...


me too sister, me too...


beautiful


xxoo