Thursday, March 02, 2006

WHAT IT'S LIKE


In the course of rounding up some music to make yet another playlist, I came across this song I had forgotten I had. I always liked it very much. It is raw, for sure. Profanity is scattered throughout it. Many would shudder listening to it just due to the language. The subject matter is volatile enough to cause others to wince and flick off the sound. Ah, but that is the draw for me. All of it combined makes an extremely powerful statement about us as human beings and our inherent flaws.

When my husband first heard me playing this song, he gave me this "look." I can read him like the back of my hand, and I knew he felt the song had no value except shock value. I stopped the song and told him I wanted him to listen very carefully to the lyrics. I hit play, and he listened. After it was over, I said I wanted to discuss what was said in the song. We had quite a lengthy discussion about it. I expressed to him that I felt it captured truths that generally get shoved under the rug. The unpleasantries no one wants to talk about. And it was able to do it with more force by using a slap-in-the-face kind of way.

Sometimes we NEED that slap. Sometimes we have to have it to be able to feel. To understand. To change. To accept.

The song is called What It's Like by Everlast. Here are the lyrics. Enjoy...and think.

We've all seen the man at the liquor store beggin' for your change

The hair on his face is dirty, dreadlocked and full of mange

He ask the man for what he could spare with shame in his eyes

Get a job you fuckin' slob's all he replied

God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes

'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues

Then you really might know what it's like (X4)

Mary got pregnant from a kid named Tom who said he was in love

He said don't worry about a thing baby doll I'm the man you've been dreamin' of

But three months later he said he won't date her or return her call

And she sweared god damn if I find that man I'm cuttin' off his balls

And then she heads for the clinic and she gets some static walkin' through the doors

They call her a killer, and they call her a sinner, and they call her a whore

God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in her shoes

'Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to choose

Then you really might know what it's like (X4)

I've seen a rich man beg

I've seen a good man sin

I've seen a tough man cry

I've seen a loser win

And a sad man grin

I heard an honest man lie

I've seen the good side of bad

And the down side of up

And everything between

I licked the silver spoon

Drank from the golden cup

Smoked the finest green

I stroked daddies dimes at least a couple of times

Before I broke their heart

You know where it ends

Yo, it usually depends on where you start

I knew this kid named Max

He used to get fat stacks out on the corner with drugs

He liked to hang out late at night

Liked to get shit faced

And keep pace with thugs

Until late one night there was a big gun fight

Max lost his head

He pulled out his chrome .45

Talked some shit

And wound up dead

Now his wife and his kids are caught in the midst of all of his pain

You know it crumbles that way

At least that's what they say when you play the game

God forbid you ever had to wake up to hear the news

'Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to lose

Then you really might know what it's like (X4) To have to lose...

7 comments:

TJ said...

I can't bring myself to most rap..I do like 8 mile by Eminem but I think only becuase he doesn't live that far away and I know the area and lifestyle he had.
Music is such an experince isn't it? I find most of it moves me deeply!!
TJ

V said...

My son introduced me to Everlast. Good stuff, good Pic!

Bedraggled, besotted
an icy beard
presents itself
peering from the blanket.

Amidst the roiling mist
of the heating vent
he seems a dragon,
probing thru reddened eyes,
watching the world recoil
from his breath of fire.

V

Tammy Brierly said...

I understand completely the message and now I'm very curious to hear the music. I'll check it out.

Thanks

XXOO

Jod{i} said...

Everlast rocks!
Now I am humming this and frantically rummaging through my mp3's...

BlogOmar said...

This was a good song, but I can't like Everlast. I remember when he was a Vanilla Ice clone.

Scary but true.

Gannet Girl said...

I usually can't stand rap, which I guess this is? but I like these lyrics just fine.

Globetrotter said...

Wow. That certainly does make you think, though I'm not familiar with the song.

I think I'd prefer sedation over that type of thinking!

Honestly though, I'm so old that I can still remember the fact that a girl that I worked with had to go get an abortion secretly so her parents wouldn't find out. In those days you had to go to these dreadful creeps in shoddy rooms who used hangers to get rid of the unborn fetus. Those girls took their lives into their hands when they had abortions and I just hope we don't revert back to all that with Roe vs Wade being reversed in some states.

I'm wondering if you know a group called El Divo? 4 gorgeous hunky guys singing songs in French, Spanish, Italian and English. The 4 of them are all from different countries. Now that's the kind of music I like to listen to, especially if I imagine that these hunks are singing to me!