Friday, March 31, 2006

MYDAY!


The washer is churning, the dryer is turning, the sky grows darker, the winds blow stronger, my dog is restless, a painting is waiting for me to tend to it, and I am happily content. Why? Because it is MYDAY!

The days of the week are Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, MYDAY, and Saturday. Yes. I have renamed Friday to suit me. My ongoing love affair with this day continues. The optimism of a carefree weekend is what I always feel on this particular day.

This weekend is already a very promising one. Aside from watching the semifinal round of the NCAA Basketball Tournament, my husband and children will be returning from a long trip to Montana. No, I did not join them. I wanted some "me" time to get to the tasks I cannot seem to tackle with their three bodies and accompanying clutter ever present. Throw in that it was a ski trip and snow skiing is not my forte, and I was grateful for this time alone. However, it was TOO long of a vacation. In fact, this is the longest I have ever been alone since my marriage. I began missing them fiercely after seven days.

I have to admit there were more than a few occasions when I felt I made a huge mistake by not joining them. It is only when I take a look around the house and see all I have done that I think I made the right decision. My mother is experiencing some new health problems, and I am glad I was not somewhere across the country fretting and wondering how she was faring. I also know it was good for me to bask in the peace and quiet in my beloved home. That in itself has been excellent for me.

After so many years of not being completely alone for any extended period of time, it was interesting how I reacted to the change. I was able to have uninterrupted thoughts. No one disrupted the flow of whatever activity I was engaged in. I did not get to ski the mountains of Big Sky, ride a dog sled, swim in the Hot Springs, be the one an elk charged ::chuckle::, but I got to get in touch with myself a little more than I have ever been. I also have a greater appreciation for them and the positive ways they impact my daily life. How can I regret that?

Now, I just want to see their faces, smooch them, and hug them tightly...before hubby leaves in a few more days on yet another trip~minus the kids. LOL!

"Loneliness expresses the pain of being alone and solitude expresses the glory of being alone." ~Paul Tillich

(Graphic by Simone's Creations®...not for use without her permission.)

4 comments:

Kris said...

Aww, I know what it's like to be alone for a week or two. But, as you said, you have this chance to miss them and it makes you appreciate them more.

On the flipside, I value my alone time for the same reasons as you.

What about a vacation for you and the husband? :)

TJ said...

MYDAY! Oh I love that! I so understand and love this.
When Grizzly goes ( and he does alot) I am pleased with all I have around me to keep me occupied. That came with age...
You are such a good soul, feeling it is time to remind friends of what they mean to you. So happy I found you...you are inspiring.
Love TJ

Tammy Brierly said...

I love "mydays" too. I have needed them since I was young. Dave is visiting his grandson's over Easter and I will miss him. I'm happy you did this and I bet they miss the hell out of you! Always a bonus!

V said...

Happy MYDAY!
V