Friday, April 21, 2006

PARENTS


I spent a good chunk of my Thursday with my mother. We went to her cardiologist appointment, made a brief stop at Daddy's grave, and on to the grocery store. I have talked about my parents often in this journal. I am not embellishing the truth when I say they were/are incredible people, and I am more than blessed to have them be my parents. While I might be the black sheep among their four daughters, I think I turned out pretty darn well. They are the reason why. I could not care less if anyone believes me to be a not-so-swell person. I know differently. And so do my loved ones.

With that said, here is something I received via one of my graphics groups. It was a writing instead of a graphic, and it sums up beautifully my relationship with my parents.


"When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator, and I immediately wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you feed a stray cat, and I learned that it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me, and I learned that the little things can be the special things in life.

When you thought I wasn't looking I heard you say a prayer, and I knew there is a God I could always talk to, and I learned to trust in God.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick, and I learned that we all have to help take care of each other.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you give of your time and money to help people who had nothing, and I learned that those who have something should give to those who don't.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it, and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw how you handled your responsibilities, even when you didn't feel good, and I learned that I would have to be responsible when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw tears come from your eyes, and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it's all right to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared, and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I learned most of life's lessons that I need to know to be a good and productive person when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I looked at you and wanted to say, ' Thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking.' "


...and I am thankful I told my father countless times how much he meant to me and that I loved him. Just as I still tell my mother those same things.

"It's not only children who grow. Parents do too. As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours. I can't tell my children to reach for the sun. All I can do is reach for it, myself." ~Joyce Maynard

6 comments:

Chris said...

Wow. That is awesome. It was like reading about my grandmother. She's not going to last much longer and is under hospice care. If it's okay with you, I would like to keep this and when the day comes and she's gone, I would like to read it at her memorial service. It's perfect.

Tammy Brierly said...

This is what every parent should strive to do "set the example." I'm so glad you wrote this because it reminds me of the good I have learned from my parents, instead of focusing on the bad.

HUGS

TJ said...

and you can be assured that your parents know this...I believe for the most part that our children are our reflection. Sometimes even the not so good things still a reflection. It is hard for me to picture you a Black Sheep in a negetive sort of speaking. If children are parents pearls we have to remember pearls come in colors..right? Thank you so much for the graphics to my fairie poem!! I posted it here. Thanks babe! It made it perfect.
your friend
TJ
http://havenstory.blogspot.com/

TJ said...

I forgot to mention I have been hanging out a least once a day to hear your friends song...That is so Beautiful.
TJ

Abadiebitch said...

Of course you are a good person!

My adult daughter is growing and it is great. She seems to be thinking more now than ever. I have always felt like I continue to grow, unfortunately my mother, her grandmother stopped at 15 and we have lived with the fall out.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that beautiful, and so very true. Our kids are paying attention even when we don't think they are.
So ... you are one of four daughters, too. I'm the next to the youngest ... how about you? Tina