Tuesday, February 28, 2006

WELCOME, MARCH!

Where I live, March has a tendency to "come in like a lion and out like a lamb." There are always years when just the opposite is true. And with our weather expected to be partially sunny and in the 50s this first day of March, I would hazard a guess that this is going to be one of those exceptions to the rule.

Whatever the case will be, I am usually glad to say good-bye to February. There are good things that happen during the month, but there are a couple of longtime unpleasant memories I tend to recall which took place during February. February and I are not impassioned lovers.

I will miss the winter months. My fondness for the snow has to be moved from a reality to a longing. It does strike my fancy when we get flurries in April. Everyone else grumbles about it, but I am elated. Another taste of my beloved winter.

The daffodils and tulips and crocuses are already beginning to peek out from the earth. I have also noticed more and more green creeping into the landscape. Ah, the change of seasons. Each brings with it its own special signature to delight me in some manner.

I think we all change to some degree along with the seasons. There is a mood shift, be it for better or worse. The eyes absorb the surroundings, and the brain is quick to snatch up the visions and process them. Then, as only the complex human brain can do, it decides how we are going to behave and feel. We are left to adapt to its wishes.

Here is hoping my mind bestows joy and a sense of rejuvenation upon me. The same hope goes to all of you. ::smile::

"The sun is brilliant in the sky but its warmth does not reach my face. The breeze stirs the trees but leaves my hair unmoved. The cooling rain will feed the grass but will not slake my thirst. It is all inches away but further from me than my dreams." ~M. Romeo LaFlamme, The First of March

7 comments:

Tawnya said...

I love spring time. It is when new love begins as well... I know I have been a blog slug, sorry about that. I will try to do better in the near future. Tawnya

Globetrotter said...

Loved that quote!

I was just telling my son yesterday that although the weather is springlike here the incredible feeling of joy that I used to feel about Spring's arrival was tempered by the fact that there are no extremes of temperature here. (He was complaining about how cold it is in Boston.) I told him, "The better to feel Spring when it arrives, my child!"

I've been thinking about this kind of stuff lately, how without the extremes it's more difficult to enjoy the gentler times...

I'm glad you got through February, my dear...though you must still be having bad dreams because you must have been awake most of the night in order to write this wonderful thought-provoking entry!

Love that picture!

XOXOX
Maryanne

Tammy Brierly said...

The weather has been so weird. We got a week of seventy degrees, a weekend of snow and now tons of warm rain. We will get snow again this weekend. Our daffodils have been snowed on, rained on and blown all over. They are still hanging in there!

XXOO

Judith HeartSong said...

come on Spring. A warm hug in the meantime.

Gannet Girl said...

Almost here. . .

V said...

February, Vaya con Dios!
Hehehehe,
V

Anonymous said...

Your entry reminded me of how I miss the seasons. Here in California they kind of all run together. Yes, it's much warmer in summer than in winter, but there isn't that distinction that there is in other places. I miss that sense of order that comes with each change. Thanks for reminding me .... Tina