Saturday, July 22, 2006

DRESS UP


Is there any woman alive who did not play dress up as a child? What little girl did not have a large trunk of treasures to be rummaged through in search of the perfect combination of garments and accessories?

Oh, the grand delight to be found in sliding into an oversized dress and tugging it up high enough to be able to fasten a belt around our tiny waist to secure the excess fabric. This enabled us to be able to walk without tripping on the hem. Jewelry was a must. The best pieces were earrings that dangled. We would turn our head quickly from side to side to be able to feel the earrings slap at our flesh with each movement. There was the careful winding of long strands of pearls around our neck. Too many bracelets adorned our wrist. Metal ones would clang together. We loved that. A hat perched on our head in the perfect manner, so it would not slip down over our eyes. A giant purse was a necessity. We had important items we needed to stash inside a roomy purse.

But the single most crucial element was the shoes. And that meant stepping into some very high heels that belonged to Mommy. Three- and four-inch heels added enormous height to us. We would shuffle through rooms and up the stairs frantically trying to keep those high heels on our minuscule feet. Garbed in our spectacular attire, we paraded throughout the house taking care of "grown-up" duties.

Part of the fun in playing dress up was being seen by others. After all, wasn't it time we were recognized as being more mature than they thought we were? Dressed that way, we had found the magic that would enable others to view us the way we wanted to be seen. We were, for a time, elegant. Princesses whose size belied our perceived maturity.

::smile:: I remember very well the times I played dress up. My most favorite accessory was my mother's wedding shoes. I had to grab them quickly before my sisters snatched them. They were the prettiest shoes I had ever seen. Ivory satin with ankle straps and VERY high heels. With Daddy being more than a foot taller than my mother, she needed that height. I have always felt Mom was extremely sweet to allow us to play with those shoes. But, I would imagine it gave her warm and loving feelings seeing those particular shoes gracing the feet of her children.

Time passed, and we outgrew the desire to set aside time for dress up. It became a babyish activity, and we moved on to other interests. However, did we really outgrow it? Or did it remain unchanged to a large degree?

I love to dress up for different social events. To find the ideal dress, purse, stockings, undergarments, and jewelry. And don't I feel very much the way I did as a child playing dress up? Do I take a glance at myself fully put together and perhaps think I look a little magical that nite? The need to be recognized as an adult is gone, and it is replaced with just the urge to look the best I can to please the eyes of not only myself, but others around me.

Ah, but in private, do I not still play dress up also? ::wicked grin:: Of course I do. I adore lingerie. And I have virtually every color imaginable among the many styles I have amassed. It feels wonderful to be scantily clad in those "dress up" items. Far more glorious to be appreciated while wearing them.

It seems some of the little girl in a woman is always there.

"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me." ~Bette Midler

5 comments:

Jod{i} said...

tee heee......
Tried explaining that to The Man...like when you wear the pretty oh so feminine lacy things under plain old clothes...gives ya that hmmph or I've got a secret thing all day...LOL

...Doesnt get it...So I told him to wear it all day and see! LOL

I used to take my mother's slips and put them on my head...I was either a princess, a bride or had reallllllllllly long hair...

I dont do that anymore, wha? I dont!

Grin
Peace
Jo

Anonymous said...

I never played dress up. I played with Tonka Trucks in the dirt.
J~

Bon & Mal Mott said...

We found your choice of quote to be interesting; we had not before encountered it, but it exactly applies to us, as Bonnie is a proud Pole and Walt is a sqvarehead.

Hugs,
Bonnie and Walt

Tammy Brierly said...

hehehe I don't do lingerie because it does not conceal wobbly parts (I feel sexier naked)and never stays on long enough. (confusing I know) LOL

I love the perfect outfit though :)

My mom never allowed me in her clothes but I had Barbie:)

XXOO

V said...

I do remember my sister doin` that! It was a good time to get out of the house!
Hehehe.
V