Wednesday, July 26, 2006

U IS FOR UNZIPPED


Usually when I unzip, fun is about to be had. ::grin:: But, this time it is my mouth that is being unzipped. There have been some newsworthy events that I wish to discuss, and I am not the least bit concerned about being politically correct. Never have been, never will be.

Before I begin, I do want to express my sheer delight seeing Tiger Woods repeat as the British Open winner. Bravo! The man is beyond amazing, and he is certain to be the greatest golfer of all time. And my heart melted when he broke down and sobbed after the victory...the emotional toll his father's death had on him was more than evident. I wish for him many more victories in all areas of his life.

Now, this topic enrages me. I do not know how many people have followed the case of the young man (age 16) whose Hodgkin's disease was treated last year with chemotherapy and has since become active again. The boy and his family have been seeking alternative therapy to treat his disease, because the boy felt sure he would die if he had to go through stronger doses of chemotherapy that would be required. Enter our lovely court system with its disparities in the rulings issued depending upon the judge, the state, etc. Long story short, the court has ruled that he HAS to enter the hospital and receive the chemotherapy. WHAT? Oh, and his parents have been found guilty of "neglect" because they allowed their son to have supervised alternative therapy at a clinic in Mexico. Now the parents must share custody of their son with the county. ::shaking my head in disgust:: I am a firm believer in looking after a child's best interests. However, nowhere in anything I have read regarding this particular case have I seen evidence of the parents pushing for the young man to do anything. They are following HIS wishes. And at the age of 16, many children are pretty solid about knowing what they can and cannot handle. Clearly, this teen is adamant that he does not wish to suffer the sometimes-deadly side effects chemotherapy has to offer. It did not work for him the first time he was treated, and he felt it was going to kill him. Up the chemo doses this time, and it would not surprise me if he did die. Sad thing for him is if he were but two years older, he would not have to do anything he does not want to do. Gotta keep those pharmaceutical companies in business, don't we?

Which brings me to this. Have you ever wondered why so many people are getting cancer at alarmingly young ages? I suppose we could chalk up some of it due to the fact we are more aware of cancer and detecting it in its early stages. Stop and think about this, though. If you compare the life expectancy from decades ago and the current life expectancy, it seems obvious people are living longer. It appears that the modern marvels of medicine have been a boon to all of us. Yet, is it taken into consideration that infants and children died at very high rates decades ago? That certainly skews the averages back then, doesn't it? Sure it may seem we are living longer...and children definitely are...but when you no longer have to average in infant mortality, we are not living very much longer at all these days. Perhaps a two-year increase at best? I have always thought, and continue to think, that our heavy use of pesticides, fluoride in our water supplies, and hormones injected into our livestock have messed up our bodies. Ripe for cancer to invade...or perhaps even causing cancer. Decades ago, prostate cancer just was NOT attacking men in their thirties and forties. It was an "old man's" disease. Cripe, in my real world, I know three men who have gotten it. One passed away. All in their forties. Ditto for breast cancer. I will not even get into the number of people I have known who died as a direct result of the chemotherapy treatment they were receiving. Yep, the cancer did not nail them...the cure did. (Disclaimer: I DO believe chemotherapy has been a godsend to many, many people, and I am not saying it does not work its miracles. It definitely does...sometimes. But, it is also a killer. And that's fact.)

And Christie Brinkley being cheated on? For the love of God, what man in his right mind would cheat on her, with a teenager no less? Methinks her husband is an aging, weak, and foolish man looking for his own youth through fresh bait. Ick on him. Double ick.

Paris Hilton is publicly displaying her sensitive side. Why don't I care one iota?

President Bush (yes, I do like the man) gets caught uttering a swear word. ::gasp:: I feel sure he is the only President who has ever done such a thing. ::eyeroll:: Give it up, folks, and move along to something of substance. For instance, get on his case for using his very first veto to squash the stem cells research legislation. That is far more worthy of people's time and attention. I am an avid stem cell research advocate. When you see enough people suffer through diseases that are horrifying but could possibly be eradicated via the use of stem cells, you just might find yourself leaning toward or outright in full support of those precious cells for potential cures. And I have seen more than my fair share of sufferers.

Final rant. I do wish people would exercise their right to freedom of speech by displaying at least a little bit of decorum. Anyone can swear and jabber and picket, but how many can do it with some class and still get their point across in a powerful way? More importantly, how many can complain yet deliver a workable solution to the problem?

Now I think I will go unzip in that other manner. After all, the kids aren't home at the moment. ::wink::

"A dress that zips up the back will bring a husband and wife together." ~James H. Boren

8 comments:

Bon & Mal Mott said...

You use your soapbox to good effect. We can't find too much to quibble about, so we won't. We'll just say

Hugs,
Bonnie and Walt

Jod{i} said...

Wooo hooo...Nikki Unplugged! I like I like...very well written and wonderfully thought out...
I agree, I agree...nodding through it all..

*Gee did I swear too much? Eeeks...*

:)

Barry Wallace said...

While off the top of my head I agree totally with wondering why anyone would cheat on Christie Brinkley...well, gorgeous as she is (which I assume - I haven't seen any recent photos of her) I don't think looks have anything to do with it. Apparently the husband is just a louse looking for something new and, apparently, more flexible.

I guess what I'm saying is, while it's interesting and noteworthy that it's someone who's so famous for her good looks being cheated on, I think it doesn't make that big a difference what she looks like.

And about the swearing, well normally I hate it when people swear in public but I actually thought it "humanized" him somewhat - we never get to seem him give off any emotion except a vague contempt for the things he's talking against. It makes him a bit more "real" somehow. Like we were watching a scene from "The West Wing" or something, rather than a press conference.

Barry Wallace said...

Oh, yeah, unzipping...hm. For you would that be unzzzipping?

Our kids aren't home tonight either, but now we have to worry about the new kitten. *pounce* OW!!

Tammy Brierly said...

You go girl and AMEN sister!

HUGS

Anonymous said...

Now, doesn't that make you feel soooo much better? I just love the way I feel after a good rant-letting. Feels better than a good cry. Well, it feels about the same, I guess ! Enjoy ! Tina

TJ said...

Ahhhhh unzipped !!
Tiger will be here this coming weekend for our Buick open, our town will be crazy!! Who cares about Paris...terrible example for our young girls.
Our president is just a man...hello most men have been know to swear!
Stopping by to say hello to a friend...Love to you.
TJ

V said...

Great Quote!