Saturday, July 15, 2006

FLEURS

Little have I posted in recent weeks about any of my feeble attempts to become an artist! I always have a painting in progress. I feel somewhat lost if my drafting table or easel sits free of paints or pastels. At the very least, I want a sketch completed and ready for the stroke of a brush or a pastel. (Although, I sometimes do not sketch anything before painting.)

Anyway, I had previously written about my experience in the one-day pastels class I took in June. Even though it is a messy medium, I like it. I decided to do a couple more paintings using it, so I would not lose what I recalled from the class. The sunflower I began in the workshop and completed at home. The other two I have since done. Yes, I even had them matted and framed. All three of them. It does not mean I think they are really good enough to spend that kind of money to have professionally framed, but I was getting a fair amount of heat from family and friends to start framing my work. Eh, I have certainly seen far better by others.

What interests me the most is how people respond to each painting. Of the three pastels, it seems quite varied as to which each person prefers the most. The various people who were involved with the matting and framing at the shop all had their particular favorite. There is one painting I actually intensely dislike. Yet, it was the favorite of two of the frame shop's employees and also my son. Funny how people see or are attracted to different aspects of a painting. It can be the color, the subject matter, the shading, or any number of things that pull them to one specific painting that makes them say, "Yes, this one is my favorite."

Here they are, poorly photographed (dang glare) and in the order of when I painted them.





Ewwww, the one makes me cringe. It is ugly to my eyes. Very ugly. Figures it is the one four people have told me is their favorite.

Since I finished the rose, I decided to put away the pastels for a time and bring out my acrylics. I had taken a photograph of my daughter a couple of years ago that I have always liked. I was taking pictures of my daisies out in the large flower bed in my back yard. They butt up to some pine trees I had planted, too. My daughter came over to see if the daisies had a scent, and she leaned down to smell one. ::smile:: I know they have virtually no fragrance, yet I still find myself doing the very same thing. I snapped the picture at the moment she began to breathe in. It is a challenge for me to see if I can paint that photograph using acrylics. It is very far from being finished. I did a rough sketch of her on the canvas, but left the rest empty. I have never done a portrait with acrylics, and I am struggling (and wishing I had instead chosen to do this using watercolors). I really need to take at least one class in the use of acrylics.

Anywhoooo, here is the early stage of that painting. Still very much incomplete and in need of details, shading, leaves, stems, and the like.



And that's what the simple folk do in their spare time. ::smile::

"Happy are the painters, for they shall not be lonely. Light and colour, peace and hope, will keep them company to the end of the day." ~Winston Churchill

6 comments:

Jod{i} said...

I ADORE the first one...
I have some new ones I will be posting over at sketches soon...

I have more inspiration now since coming back from Maine..
We need to move there, as we are anyhoo...I do believe I have found THE house...We call it the Shire..It looks like a huge hobbit house, LOL

Nikki I love your work, you are much bolder than I...

Globetrotter said...

I love them all, Saint Nikki! But my favorite is the sunflower! Love it! Love it! Love it!

I have been wanting to take a class in pastels too. I can never get over how magical they appear to me when I see a well-done pastel in an art show! I think I'm done with acrylics. The hubby requested a re-do of the painting that you bought, because he still claims that it was his favorite and I sold it. So I tried to make another and failed miserably. They look nothing alike and I was miserable the entire time I was trying to paint. I find acrylics very challenging, and unwieldy. So I truly appreciate people who subdue the challenges inherent in that medium. (I was just trying to talk smart, heehee, with that last sentence).

I'm so glad that you had these matted and framed. Your family was quite right in forcing the issue!

Love ya,
SIC

Tammy Brierly said...

Sorry Nikki, my favorite was the sunflower and now it's the rose (ducking now). The daisy picture will be great :)

HUGS

Bedazzzled1 said...

::chuckle:: The one I HATE is that damn pink Gerbera daisy. I scrunch up my nose when I look at it. I cannot figure out why anyone would like it, but in my offline world, it has been people's favorite. Ick.

My fave is the sunflower. Hands down. The rose I like 2nd best. I made that up all by myself in my tiny little mind. And I've already said what I think of that pink mess.

Now, I have to wrestle with the acrylics painting. I hope I don't ruin it completely.

Nikki with a halo

BosieLadie said...

I love them! My favorite is the first, the yellow flower. I like the way it's offset, not centered. And the colors are just right. Good job.

Bon & Mal Mott said...

We won't say which we prefer, but we think that the sunflower is less impressionistic than the others, and so stands out more.
Oh, hell, the sunflower is our favorite (and the mice are in rapture at the sight of it.)
We can't wait to see the finished product of your daughter and the daisies.
Hugs,
Bonnie and Walt
P.S. Don't forget the simple folk who commune with serial killers.
LOL