Friday, February 03, 2006

I'LL FIGURE IT OUT!

"I am not your rolling wheels,
I am the highway.
I am not your carpet ride,
I am the sky.
I am not your blowing wind,
I am the lightning.
I am not your autumn moon,
I am the night."

Those lyrics are stuck in my head (along with the rest of the song). They have been for days. It is not some catchy jingle that infiltrates your brain and refuses to exit even though you desperately want it to leave. No, those words are welcome to stay. I think about them. What they mean. Certainly Audioslave had a specific thought they wished to convey when they wrote the song. I could probably perform a web search and find out the answer. But, I am pretty sure I would rather decide for myself what they mean. My own interpretation. Whatever feelings they stir within me are what matter.

Have you ever really loved a particular poem or song and assigned it a special meaning, then later found out what the writer was thinking when he/she penned it? And when that happened, was it almost a complete 180° from your own perception? I hate when that occurs. The magic of it is often ruined for me.

When I am extremely perplexed, sometimes I do like to know the general theme. It can get my frame of mind in place to read or listen with that theme hovering nearby. It can help me absorb the words and perhaps reach an even deeper level of understanding from them.

It is not unlike a painting in some ways. If the artist HAS to tell you what the picture is all about, then he has failed through the use of his paints to express it adequately.

And so, I will continue pondering...although I think I have a pretty solid handle on the meaning of that song. Go me!

"Pearls and swine bereft of me.
Long and weary my road has been.
I was lost in the cities.
Alone in the hills.
No sorrow or pity for leaving I feel.

Chorus:
I am not your rolling wheels,
I am the highway.
I am not your carpet ride,
I am the sky.

Friends and liars don’t wait for me.
I’ll get on all by myself.
I put millions of miles,
Under my heels.

And still too close to you
I feel.

Chorus:
I am not your rolling wheels,
I am the highway.
I am not your carpet ride,
I am the sky.
I am not your blowing wind,
I am the lightning.
I am not your autumn moon,
I am the night.
The night.

I am not your rolling wheels,
I am the highway.
I am not your carpet ride,
I am the sky.

I am not your blowing wind,
I am the lightning.
I am not your autumn moon,
I am the night.
The night." ~I Am The Highway by Audioslave

3 comments:

Bon & Mal Mott said...

We, too, have derived from it a specific meaning, but we won't spoil yours by revealing ours. lol
Bon & Mal

Abadiebitch said...

The chorus sounds like a one-sided negotiation. A power struggle. Talk about not getting the meaning, I always hated in Fiction Writing when someone was telling me what I meant as the author. I was like “you can take whatever meaning out of it you wish, but please don’t tell me what I meant.”

Ann Marie said...

Umm clueless with this one Bedazzzled. But, I was daring enough to veer away from John Denver this morning. We're handling it, but may soon go back. It's scarier for us out here! Think we're more at Pooh level :/ We're going to look out for you though in case you start trippin out on us!

xoxoxo
Us