Thursday, February 09, 2006

QUICK UPDATE

Who said you can't go home again? (Actually, it was Tom Wolfe.) I sure slept like a baby the two nites I stayed at Mom's house. I was back in my old bedroom that I have not slept in for twenty years. I had to smile thinking about how often I rearranged the furniture in there when I was a young girl. Then I remembered how I had glued a panda bear pajama bag to the wall to "decorate" the room. By the time Mom and Dad noticed I had done that, the glue was completely dry, and removing the pajama bag pulled off a hunk of the wall. ::laugh::

Time will tell how well Mom fares. Until then, we will keep a close eye on her and go with her to every doctor appointment. I noticed an increase in her appetite last nite, and that pleased me tremendously. We did have a good time during my stay with her. We giggled a good bit. She is so easygoing and softspoken (such a contrast to me and my personality). I told her she is my slumber party buddy now.

It felt nice to take care of her and do for her. My three sisters made sure they came over and did some cleaning and visiting with her. I was informed by Mom that I do many things very well...but making coffee is NOT one of them. I do not drink coffee, so I am virtually clueless when it comes to making it. I thought I had followed her instructions accurately, but apparently it was the worst coffee she had ever tasted. ::sigh:: One of my sisters had a cup, and she immediately pulled her shirt forward and looked down inside to see if hair had sprouted on her chest. Um, guess I made the coffee a bit strong.

Anyway, tonite Mom is going to be alone all nite. She wants to see how she does. I told her I am only a phone call away and will immediately come back over and spend the nite if she is uncomfortable on her own. Otherwise, my daily visits will be during the daylight hours.

Mom snoozed off and on during the time I was with her. I worked on a sketch while she slept, but I would sometimes stop and just look at her. She has had a lot of wonderful things happen during her life, but she certainly has had some extremely traumatic things occur, as well. The woman has an incredible ability to handle them in a way that does not leave her bitter, jaded, or unhappy. Time has been a good friend to her. Time and her own coping style. Both have made her a strong woman.

I think I want to be like her when I grow up.

"Where we love is home - home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts." ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

6 comments:

TJ said...

I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed as you wrote about your mom and all the feeling you have...
I am smiling that all is well.
I laughed about you sleeping so good in your old room.
Hugs
TJ

V said...

..............I think I want to be like her when I grow up. ......................


Wonderful,
Love & Prayers,
V

Chris said...

I'm glad you had a good time with your mom, even under the circumstances. It's funny how you said your mom is soft spoken and you'r not. That is the same here! My mom is like a genteel southern lady and so soft spoken you can't always hear her. Then there's me, outspoken and loud. How funny!

Bon & Mal Mott said...

As coffee drinkers ourselves, we can understand the comments. lol
It's wonderful to hear that your mom is okay. If that is the source of your hope, marvelous.
Hugs,
Bon & Mal

Ann Marie said...

Awe Bedazzzled this relays much of your personality. Kind, generous and loving. Maybe not so different from your Mom after all?!

You cope like an artist painting a protrait of a lovely lady living in the beauty of your thoughts.

Hurrah!

xoxoxo
Us

YAYYYY JD!

Christina K Brown said...

this is so beautiful....