Wednesday, February 22, 2006

LITTLE GETAWAYS

I travel through dark forests, venture through fields of flowers, get pelted with snow, showered with rain, and warmed by the sunshine along a sandy beach. I wince, smile, shiver, ponder, weep, and laugh along the way.

I take these trips willingly and on a regular basis. I know my heartstrings will be tugged at times. I am aware I will feel things intensely during my journeys. But no matter which emotions will be stirred within me, I am glad for them.

These little vacations afford me the opportunity to meet some spectacular people~men and women. I even get to have glimpses into their lives. I have had peeks into their hearts and souls. That they would be willing to share parts of themselves with me makes me feel good. And it does not even bother me that many, many of these people are intellectually far superior to me. How often does anyone NOT MIND feeling a lack of adequate intelligence?! Well, I sure do not mind a single bit. If anything, I appreciate the newfound knowledge I have acquired through them.

They teach me much in the short time I spend with them before I move along. Some of the lessons learned can be found in books, but the information would not be presented nearly as well or in a manner which invites my eager anticipation. Other lessons are those which can only be found through life experiences. Those stories are told, and I am captivated. I lean forward and try to absorb all there is put out there for me. Opinions are expressed, and I try to remain unbiased while I take in the reasons why they hold those thoughts. I still might not share their views, but I am not offended by the way they speak them. They are careful not to attack those who disagree. These people have class. (The best definition of the word class I have ever heard was said either by Ann Landers or Dear Abby, and the gist of it was this: "A person with class is someone who makes the most people the least uncomfortable.") Oh yes, I do like the people I visit on my trips.

And just where do I go on these many vacations? To the journals/blogs of Blogspot and AOL. I cannot say I have ever come away from reading these people's journals and not been left with food for thought. At times, I also leave with a tummy ache from the laughter they cause me! There are some tremendous people in this world of blogging. I got very, very lucky and located many of them.

No matter the weather they are experiencing at the particular time they write, I will gladly join them there. After all, they bring so much to me.

"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart." ~William Wordsworth

and

"Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish." ~John Jakes

7 comments:

Tammy Brierly said...

I LOVED those quotes! I feel the same as you about the blogging community. I think we all bring our hearts to our blogs. I am very open in person and it maybe a tad too much in the blog world. I have, on the other hand learned to be open in a more creative way. You have been one of the people who has inspired creativity and given me encouragement.

Thank you for sharing you,
XXOO

Anonymous said...

This is so true ! It's such an interesting adventure to see where our journal friends are going to take us. I have laughed and cried with my friends in here. I know that where ever I visit, I will come away with something. I'm glad to hear that you are getting so much from being a part of this community, too. 'Tis a blessing, isn't it ! Tina

DEREK said...

oh how I loved this entry, you touched me on this one. I feel much like this myself. It is like a vacation for me.

Christina K Brown said...

ditto sweet lady...


ditto....



In person I am just the same only more forward and direct...and a toucher. I like to touch people which this forum does not allow.

Bon & Mal Mott said...

You read John Jakes too?? Another devotee! Marvelous!
Mal

Gannet Girl said...

This is so true! Little adventures every single day - what a great way to think about it.

V said...

Aww, I wish I could say it as well!
Terrific.
V