Monday, August 28, 2006

BEHIND A PARASOL~August SPC, Week 5~Enclosed Spaces


This parasol takes me way back to my early youth. Elementary school to be exact. It is one of my most sentimental and cherished possessions that has moved with me many times through the years.

My father did much traveling during his lifetime. It was on one of his trips to the Orient that he bought this rice paper parasol for me. I can still recall the moment he gave it to me. I immediately opened it up and twirled it above my head over and over again. Its large diameter dwarfed my tiny frame, and I fancied myself as some exotic creature from an exotic land.

Because I was in grade school, I brought it to "show and tell." Rice paper was not common to really anyone at that age, so it was unique to them and interested them. And the delicate beauty of the hand-painted blossoms still enchants me all these years later.

I keep this parasol in our master bedroom. It is propped in the corner...in the exact spot where I am sitting in this portrait.

(The August
Self-Portrait Challenge theme is enclosed spaces and places.)

6 comments:

boho girl said...

parasol's are so romantic. this is lovely...

Deb R said...

The parasol is beautiful and I love the story behind it.

Loralee Choate said...

I love the colors on that. I am fond of warmer colors and it seems that many asian paintings, etc. use very cool tones. I think it is beautiful.

I also think that it is a good thing it is in your house and not mine because my children would destroy it in 2 seconds.

Lovely.

mareymercy said...

Love this pic - and how the colors on the parasol leap out against the white and black. Very cool.

Kim Carney said...

It is a wonderful treasure and SPC ;)

Abby Marie said...

Fun picture! I love how you're just peeking out from behind it...and wonderful memories.