Wednesday, August 30, 2006

KEEPING A PROMISE


Quite some time ago, I made a promise to my dear photographer friend. I said I would one day paint a picture using one of the photographs he has taken and sent to me. Truthfully, I kept delaying it, because I was afraid. I feared I would be unable to do justice to any of his photos. He is a wizard with his camera, and that caused further nervousness on my part. Heck, if his photos were ugly, any painting I did from one would not look too bad in comparison.

And so, I painted this, that, and the other from other photographs. Always intending to keep my promise to him...sooner or later. More later than sooner.

Well, the promise has been kept. I chose one of his iris photographs to work from. I opted to use pastel paints instead of watercolors. There was some artistic license I exercised, as is my right! But, I hope he is pleased with the result.

I must be going through my flower phase. The last bunch of paintings I have done have all had flowers in them.

And I breathe a huge sigh of relief knowing I honored my promise.

"People from a planet without flowers would think we must be mad with joy the whole time to have such things about us." ~Iris Murdoch

8 comments:

Bon & Mal Mott said...

We're just wondering. When you paint, do you concentrate on the work or does your mind wander while the hands execute? And do you ever look at what you have created and say "Wow! I did this!"?
Very pretty rendering.

Hugs,
Bonnie and Walt

kelly rae said...

beautiful. both the promise and the painting.

Charles said...

I didn't know you paint?

Then again, I didn't know you were on blogmad either. (surfing) I have to remind myself to add you to my blogroll on my blog.

Such talent.

It's beautiful!

Off to surf. LOL

Anonymous said...

Your painting is very beautiful. it's both subtle and detailed.

Jod{i} said...

Beautiful! Oh Nikki great compossition and detail!

AND HEY I KNOW YOU! via blogmad! ;)

Tammy Brierly said...

You will make him smile! You did an amazing job lady :)

Love you
Tammy

Helen said...

Beautiful Painting! What talent you have. I Love it
:-)

Globetrotter said...

This is truly lovely, Nikki! Iris is such a gorgeous but difficult flower to draw! I love the pastels, but know absolutely zero about them.