Wednesday, August 09, 2006

KARMA CURIOSITY


Karma is a curious thing. It is veiled in little mysteries and loathe to share its exact origins with its owner.

I have always believed in karma. I had thought I had seen in it in action on numerous occasions, and maybe I actually did; however, now I have to think a bit differently about it. Researching it more than I ever had previously, I came across information I had not known.

Seems there are two main schools of thought regarding karma. Short-term karma and long-term karma. The short-term kind is the here and now. We reap what we sow in this life. Treat others well and perform good deeds, and we will be rewarded with positive karma. Intentionally (intentional being key) hurting others and causing them pain or harm is paid back in this life. Unpleasantly. Religions or people who believe in reincarnation (which I do...I am such a liberal Christian) strongly believe in short-term karma, YET also believe in long-term karma that follows you through every life you have. Yes, each and every life. That was news to me.

So, I thought long and hard about that. It was a twist I had not expected to find when researching the concept. And finally it all seemed to fall into place. It makes sense.

Think about it. How many people do you know who have lived an exemplary life full of goodness and decency, yet they suffer indescribable maladies? And how many people do you know who are heartless and callous beasts who seemingly skate through life problem-free? We try to understand it. We say those cruel people have paved their own way to hell. And for those who have suffered inexplicably, we reassure ourselves that they have a ticket to Heaven.

But is that really true? Could it possibly be that long-term karma is the cause of such occurrences? It seems highly plausible to me. We are not who we were in a past life, but we might be experiencing the aftereffects of the life previously lived. And how we handle ourselves in this life might very well indicate the kind of life we will live in the next one. Until we get it right. Some may get it down perfect in just one or two lives. Others may go through dozens of lifetimes before getting it down pat. Then, a seat in Heaven at God's side is the reward.

I had to chuckle a bit when I had this next thought. When something good happens to me during this present life of mine, will I automatically believe it is because I am being a wonderful person? And when something bad happens, am I going to blame my past life for it? ::grin:: It would be very easy to go that route, and I suspect some people routinely justify their behavior by doing exactly that.

No one can say with certainty that karma does or does not exist. Just as no one can guarantee that God exists. It is all in what you feel in your heart and mind combined whether or not you believe. And I so believe.

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”
~Unknown

7 comments:

EllyJane said...

one must believe in karma in order to have faith that goodness will be rewarded and that evil will face its fate... otherwise, life would just feel too heavy and i'm not sure i could believe in a spiritual power larger than us.

Barry Wallace said...

I think in this context you can't think of karma as a force outside of God, at least in the broad, general sense that the good will be rewarded and the evil punished. But to be Christian the good must also be penitent and the evil unrepentant - again in the broad sense.

I am, however, interested in hearing how you reconcile reincarnation with a Christian belief.

Bedazzzled1 said...

A good way to look at it, Ellyjane. Thank you.

Barry? Your question is easy for me to answer. The very, very short version is that I believe when we are in Heaven and experience a clarity unlike we have ever before known, we realize our shortcomings to a startling degree. We are then given a chance to return to earth to try to make amends for the life we have just lived. And we are sent back to earth in another body with no recollection of our previous life or our stay in Heaven...and put into a situation/life that addresses the shortcoming{s}. If we again fail to change our ways, our destiny remains the same. And we must try yet again. See, I believe there are levels in Heaven. To reach the highest level at God's side, we must finally get to the point where we live a good and compassionate life.

I see no conflict between my beliefs and Christianity. The God I believe in is a kind but just God. We must recognize our failings as humans and do something to correct them before we are accepted to that ultimate Heavenly level with God on one side and Christ on the other.

Suggestion? Read "What Dreams May Come" and you will see that I adhere to many of the beliefs mentioned in that book. And do note how long it took the author to research and write it. ::smile::

Bon & Mal Mott said...

We, too, have arrived at the determination that we are here to learn what we must to progress, and that some require more learning than others.

Hugs,
Bonnie and Walt

V said...

That was very wise. I especially love your quote.
V

V said...

How can I get that jukebox? It`s great! I`ve never seen it before!

Tammy Brierly said...

I'm hoping this life is a test and I'm going to graduate soon, or I'm screwed in the next life :)