Tuesday, August 22, 2006

X IS FOR X


Sometimes, sometimes, when a journaler/blogger is writing an entry that will ruffle some feathers or offend people, the writer takes a moment to say, "This is my journal, and if you don't like what you read here, all you have to do is click on the little X up in the corner."

I do not recall ever having said that in my journal. First of all, of course it is my journal. It is why my name is posted on the entry and not someone else's. Second, every dullard in Dullardsville knows what happens when the X in the corner is clicked. I do not feel the need to point it out to them. And third, I think that particular advice is often used an excuse to be rude. Uh huh, I do. If the potential to offend someone is going to be in your entry, then at least have the backbone to say what you want without throwing in an overused and tired line to try to further justify your action. Stand by your words or beliefs, without relying on a worn out cliche to cover your behind ("Well, I said to click on the X."). Or is using it a guarantee that people will read your words? Hmmm?

Whatever the case, gotta admit the above graphic is somewhat amusing.

By the way, X got screwed over by E when Webster compiled his dictionary. Why doesn't "excellent" start with an X? Or "ecstasy" start with an X? Or "extraordinary" start with an X? E had to go and horn its way into taking over some of the best words, leaving poor X a mere few words. So selfish and thoughtless.

"Action, looks, words, steps, form the alphabet by which you may spell character." ~Johann Kaspar Lavater

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh I do like your graphic ... that's cute!
and I agree ... I don't much like being told *go away if you're offended* either. I'll go if I want and I'll stay if I like :)

Jod{i} said...

LOL...funny graphic!

Hmmmm Did I say that recently?

Bon & Mal Mott said...

You do ferret out some interesting graphics - and cause us to ponder upon the nature of offense. We all take offense, but differ on what should offend. Part of the learning process.

Hugs,
Bonnie and Walt
;) :-)

Barry Wallace said...

When people go out of their way to say things such as "click the X if you don't like it", they're basically saying that their opinions and feelings are naturally superior to your own and yours have no real value. They've arbitrarliy decided to put themselves in a morally or intellectually superior position to your own, and as such you will have no choice other than to react negatively.

Which gives them the high ground in which to pontificate and automatically puts you at a disadvantage in any discussion/debate. They have the power to say, "Well, if you think my stand on random executions of foreigners and environmentalists is so vile and disgusting, why did you bother reading it? I warned you before, so STFU."

And after that, who can offer any rational argument?

So, keep the faith and ignore the trolls.