Friday, September 15, 2006

PLEASE, NO MORE LEMONS

This past week has thrown more than a few lemons my way, and I am fiercely trying to make lemonade from them. I think I am winning the battle though, for now.

It began when my daughter's friend was killed in a motorcycle accident. Helmet on. Oil patch on the road the culprit in the loss of control of his motorcycle. Head trauma death. ::sad sigh:: 22 years young. My daughter, who is younger than that, was so traumatized by the news. She clutched me and just sobbed and sobbed on my shoulder. She garnered enough strength to attend the calling hours, the funeral, and the burial service. She is tearing up at odd times. She said she misses his smile. And I miss hers when she is sad like that.

My 14-year-old diabetic dog began behaving strangely. A trip to the vet did not result in any good news. Her diabetes is almost out of control, and the vet cannot determine the exact reason for it. Tests need done. One was already performed, but it came back negative for Cushing's disease. Like the vet said, it would have been almost "nice" had that test been positive, because it can be treated. Now, we have to begin the hunt for cancer or a tumor.

I took my mother to the cardiologist for what was supposed to be a routine visit. Instead, it discovered that her heart has again gone out of rhythm, and she needs to go back into the hospital for her fourth cardioversion (shocking of the heart). She was very stunned and looked defeated as she stepped out of his office.

And, of course, there are also the small lemons that come at you all the time, but you are able to easily dodge them. This time, I guess I was a bit slow, because they hit me and accumulated.

I had to do some laborious squeezing to make lemonade from all of these lemons. I think I am making some headway...

I had my daughter give our four college football tickets for a game Saturday to the cousin (and best friend) of the young man who was killed. He is a huge fan of the team, and I am hopeful it brings some happiness to him for at least a short period of time.

I found out a band I love, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, is going to be playing here in town. Rock opera at its finest from that group. I immediately ordered tickets. Great seats in the area of the arena that I wanted. Four of them. It will be a family affair with hubby, me, and our kids. That was a plus.

Saturday evening will be an enjoyable nite out. Hubby's company has an annual outing at a racetrack...harness racing. Outstanding food, good people, and betting! I choose all the winners, and the hubster places the bets. I do not read anything about the odds, I am unfamiliar with all harness racing, so I just go by the horses' names. We never come away winning or losing a lot. The important thing is that a good time is had.

I have no painting in the works. I intend to find something that interests me and begin a sketch over the weekend.

The weather has been utterly perfect. Slightly cool breeze, lower temperatures, and no need for air-conditioning. Open windows to allow the fresh air to sweep through our home and rejuvenate it.

See? I am trying so very hard to fill up the pitcher with lemonade.

“Huge lemons, cut in slices, would sink like setting suns into the dusky sea, softly illuminating it with their radiating membranes, and its clear, smooth surface aquiver from the rising bitter essence.” ~Rainer Maria Rilke

14 comments:

QUASAR9 said...

Hi Beddazled,
No more lemons
Beautiful Blog
Great Song too
Beautiful watercolour
your online friend is beautiful too

QUASAR9 said...

And now bedazzled
something
for you: JAM

Lippy said...

Hey. There might be an overabundance of lemonade at your house in the upcoming weeks, but how sweet it will taste.

There is little to do in the way of consolation when such a young life is lost, but I think the tickets will be a boost for the Cousin. It was an incredibly thoughtful gesture.

Good luck. Enjoy the small cherries that go with the lemonade, such as the Night at the Races. I've loved those myself, and employ a similar handicapping method. (Makes 'em mad when ya win, doesn't it,lol?)

Have a better week next week, ok?

Jimmy

Keith said...

Yep Trans Siberian Orchestra is very good...

Here's their site of you don't have it...

http://www.trans-siberian.com/

mikster said...

I hope next week is much better.

Blogmad hit!

QUASAR9 said...

Bedazzled,

I've been caught by the music
and
bedazzled by the watercolour below

I have to remind myself
it is only water & colour
beauty, a trick of the light

Jod{i} said...

Ahhh Nikki
So much going on, so many thoughts whirring in the head? Trying to make the lemonade tooo fast before it is squeezed or with enough sugar can lead to the battle of taste test and again..
THere is a lot on your plate. Keep the head and the heart clear and smooth...No promises to be made, yet of the one known...that today you can only do what you can do, and tomorrow is never ever too late, and it will be there for you to begin, fresh and new.
Please dont overwhelm yourself and take that time for you to ground..

Sending houghts of some vital peace, even if for a moment, it may be enough to reach the next!
Peace&Love
Jo

Anonymous said...

need to lose the auto play music make it an option would be much better

Bedazzzled1 said...

::chuckle:: Why is it that anonymous people always make suggestions? Anyway, let me state for the proverbial record that I LIKE the auto music play. I like it on others' blogs, too. Music should be shared. I discover songs and groups I had not previously heard via blogs.

As for my jukebox, there is no setting to allow for an option of playing or not playing. There is, however, a button in between the arrows that stops the music when it is clicked. So, don't like the music? Click that button. Don't like the song? Click on another song. It is all so very simple, and should please all...those who do and do not like my music.

And with that, have a lovely day.

Tammy Brierly said...

Oh Nikki that is alot of lemons! I will keep everyone, including your pup, in my prayers.

Enjoy the races and clean house!

Take care of yourself too!
I love you
Tammy

Bon & Mal Mott said...

Sorry, Nikki. We hope that things go more smoothly in future, in the face of the fact that life was not meant to be smooth. Grab for the good moments with both hands, and that will have to make up for the rest.

Hugs,
Bonnie and Walt

kristen said...

Wow. Your family has had a lot on it's plate. I'm sorry for your daughter's friend ~ that's tragic, especially when you hear he was doing it all right, wearing the helmet and still.
I'm sorry about your doggy. I had a kitty with diabetes that I gave insulin to every day for 8 years. He was the best fuzzy friend around and I miss him still.

TJ said...

Oh way to much reality! It is hard when it all hits at once.
Thinking of you....love TJ

Jaxia said...

I'm sorry about all the lemons in your life. Hang in there. You'll find some sugar for your lemonade!