Thursday, September 21, 2006

SIGNS OF THE SEASON



During the past few weeks, I have looked at cottages for sale in the woods and hills about an hour's drive from our house. I imagine myself spending weekends surrounded by quiet and beauty. The hubby has not ruled out the possibility of purchasing a weekend place, but he did say he would do it more as an investment. ::sigh:: That means he would rent it to others. And that would dictate when I could stay there. I do not want restrictions placed on my comings and goings.

I have also talked to him about moving to a new home. Perhaps buying a piece of property and building a sprawling ranch house. We no longer feel we have to stay in this community for their excellent school system. Yet, I saw a stone house in my neighborhood that is for sale, and I adore it. "Can we buy it?" I asked. That was countered with a response of, "But I thought you said you wanted to build a house?" My eyes roll, and I told him that was last week that I wanted to do that. "Well, what about the old historical homes you say you want?" Geez, he just cannot keep up with my weekly whims. Unfortunately, neither can I. And there is always that brick Georgian townhouse minutes from here that I lust after. It would strictly be a "for me" place, though. I do not count it as a family home. It would be my oasis. Just how many homes DO you want he usually asks. How do I know? It depends on the day. I really do not want to move. My home is perfect for us. And the idea of packing up all we own is enough to throw me into hysteria.

I went to Macy's yesterday to buy a new chain for a pendant I have. It was the only reason I went there. Before I knew what was happening, my arm had a suede jacket draped over it, along with a matching top, and I had made my way to the jewelry counter. Yes, must get a gold chain. This is why I am here. Uh huh. So explain why my face was poised over the blue topaz earrings that were gazing up at me through the glass and winking at me, seducing me with their Swiss blue color and rampant sparkles. And do tell me who uttered the following words aloud to the salesgirl, "I want those earrings right there"? Mmmm. Oh yeah, the gold chain. I set the clothing to the side while I perused their offerings. I found the perfect length and link style I wanted for my pendant. I asked if I could also purchase the clothing there at the jewelry counter. No, must buy them in that particular section of the store. Not a problem. And as she began to box the earrings and chain for me, I had a brief moment of clarity. What in the hell was I doing? I only wanted a chain, and here I had turned into a shopping slut. Ewww. I quickly told the gal not to bother with the earrings; that I would not be buying them. Just the chain, please. She was pleasant about my sudden change of mind. I meandered back to the clothing department and hung the jacket and top back on the rack. I needed neither one.

I left the store only to spot a nifty convertible sports car. I want that car. Never mind that I have no idea what kind it is or that I already have a convertible with ridiculously low mileage on it. I shook my head to clear it. I love my car. Why do I want a different one?

Finally, I returned home. The hubby called and asked me how my day was going and if I had any plans. We chatted for a bit while I told him that I was going to try to finish going through the mountain of paperwork that needs filed. As of this moment, the papers are still piled on the coffee table, because I spent a ridiculous amount of time matting and framing four paintings instead of doing what I said I would be doing.

Yes, fall is making its appearance. Not only in the drop in temperature and the earlier sunset, but also in the way it messes with me. It is a beautiful time of the year, yet it gives me a restlessness, a need for change, and an inability to focus my attention on those things that require it.

Eh, I will grow accustomed to it. Just not sure which house I will be living in when that happens. ::grin::

"To put meaning in one's life may end in madness, but life without meaning is the torture of restlessness and vague desire-it is a boat longing for the sea and yet afraid." ~Edgar Lee Masters

9 comments:

WingWoman said...

Ah Nikki, you're nuts! And I love it :-) Methinks you should've bought the earrings though...you deserve a little more sparkle in your life.

tgif!

Meg

Cynthia said...

I loved your shopping experience description...too funny!

Barry Wallace said...

Ah, the desire for the things we want but do not need... I get that feeling whenever I pass by a display of 52" Plasma HDTV's....

Funny my longing for the bigger, better PC has waned somewhat. Guess these things come in cycles.

Unfortunately, I need new tires for the car. That I can't wish away...

Charles said...

Question

Do all women change there minds weekly. If so I think that made my search even more complicated. LMAO

You know its funny, I really never have wanted jewels or fancy clothes. Technology for some reason is my thing. I would wear a pair of blue jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers to my wedding if I could get away with it. LOL

QUASAR9 said...

Hi bedazzled,
lovely layout
clear writing
soothing music

Always a pleasure to visit
Have a joyful weekend!

Anonymous said...

Turn off the auto music for God sakes!!!!!!
Some of us are listening to music or other things and your site becomes annoying!

Bedazzzled1 said...

Anonymous? Turn off your rude attitude. It is people like you who make me want to put songs on here that are impossibly loud...just to annoy you. If you had more than a couple of working brain cells, you would easily be able to determine that the autoplay can be shut off by clicking the button between the left and right arrows on the jukebox. Just as someone can also click on a different song. SOME people DO like the music here.

Now, just think. If you had a better attitude and a more pleasant manner of asking for something, you stand a chance of getting your wish. But, alas, you have neither. The autoplay stays, and you get irritated. Why is it that that pleases me? ::bright smile::

(And for the love of God, these songs I have selected right now are so quiet that for them to be the source of your obnoxiousness is mindboggling.)

'Nuff said.

Tammy Brierly said...

Hehehe "shopping slut" was too funny! Live in my neck of the WOODS where there are few stores to strut in. LOL You save a fortune! xxoo

Lippy said...

Hey hey hey, don't be too hard on yourself and your whims! Nothing wrong with a little indulgence now and then, and you sure seem to know when to put a stop to the madness, lol. You held on!

Enjoy the chain :vD