Monday, September 18, 2006

WITH HIM BEFORE LOSING HIM~September SPC, Week 3

This self-portrait of me with "someone" is incredibly difficult for me. It is the last photograph that was taken of me with him before his death. He passed away 12 days later. My father. The very first man who ever loved me. Unconditionally and profoundly.

The celebration was Christmas Day, 2001. He was in a nursing home, and I had made arrangements for a special type of bed/chair to bring him to their lovely dining room that had been so festively decorated. On Christmas Eve, I laid out the clothing for the aides to dress him in the following day. Navy blue pants. White turtleneck. White sweater with navy blue woven around the v-neck.

Come Christmas Day, Daddy was brought into that beautiful dining room. A fire was burning in the fireplace, snow was falling and could be seen through the windows of the French doors. All four of us daughters, our husbands and children, and Mom were gathered there. We knew it would be his final Christmas; hospice had said his death was mere days away. Our hope was for him to be a part of the holiday he so very much loved. He had been Father Christmas to all of us for countless years.

We brought in a sea of gifts. We wore smiles when we really felt like wearing tears. He was greeted with hugs and kisses and more hugs and kisses. The lone words he spoke the entire time were, "Is it, honey?" when my sister pointed to the windows and said it was snowing. We had to open the gifts for him. We had to do all the talking. We wanted it to feel like Christmases of the past. To bring a bit of the holiday magic to him. And then, when the last of the packages had been unwrapped, fatigue overtook him, and the aides returned him to his room to rest his failing body.

The film in my camera (I had no digital camera back then) was developed soon afterward, but I refused to look at the pictures until earlier this year when one of my sisters begged me to scan them and email them to her. Grief riddled my body as I looked at each one. A much-loved man so close to death. It was impossibly painful to see impending death hovering over his features. There was one photo of my mother kissing him on the lips, and I dissolved into wracking sobs upon seeing it.

Daddy was, is, and always will be my hero. No man will ever be able to affect me with the same magnitude that he did. His brilliance was not only in his intelligence, integrity, and kindness, but also in his ability to make all those around him better people. He was simply the best of the best. And I continue to love and miss him with each passing day, season, and event.

And so, I submit this final portrait of Daddy and me. It has been altered with a filter to not only protect his privacy...but also to preserve his dignity. He deserves that.


(The SELF-PORTRAIT CHALLENGE theme for September is ‘with someone‘ month - that means you must include someone else in your self portrait. Someone meaningful to your life or to the moment or to a specific event that you wish to document.

Guidelines: 1. each week in the month use a different person in your self portait. 2. either talk about that person or illustrate in the photograph why you have included them and how they are meaningful.)

25 comments:

Georgia said...

Beautiful tribute to your daddy. Losing someone so close is always horrible. My heart goes out to you and your family.

I think the filter on your photo is actually beautiful. It really makes it hard to know what was actually happening in the picture, you both seem to have a hint of a smile. But the distortion also brings with it some sadness and confusion.

xoxox

Georgia

Bedazzzled1 said...

Thank you, Georgia. And you know what? You "get it"...that particular filter seemed to capture the forced smile of mine
(Daddy had no expression at all on his face in the untouched photo)as well as the sadness and confusion all of us experienced that day.

xxoo

WingWoman said...

What a magnificent tribute to your Dad, Nikki. He'd be so proud of you!

Much love,

Meg

Anonymous said...

This was a very lovely tribute to your father. I understand grief and how everyone grieves in their own way. I hope that sharing your story has lightened your heart just a bit.
How wonderful that you had such a positive role model, a father you admired so much.
Thank you for sharing your story and your picture.

mikster said...

What a great post. He sounds like he was a wonderful man.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you were able to spend a wonderful holiday with a wonderful, special person.

Christmas for me will never be the same. My father also loved Christmas, and for most of our lives we spent Christmas as a family.

My Dad Died December 2nd of last year.

Christmas will never be the same

Deb R said...

I can see why you'd have a hard time revisiting those photos. I'm honored that you decided to share one of them with all of us for SPC.

Vedrana M. said...

just beautiful, your story touched my heart, thank you! you're brave to share this with us :)
and it sooo nice to hear that my pics brightened your day *hug*

Jod{i} said...

Oh Nikki...
And now I weep..I understand this, I feel this with every nerve, every dance I can imagine, still that little girl..Oh Nikki...

Peace&Love

Jeremy Stockwell said...

Thank you for sharing your memories and picture of you and your father. So sorry for your loss.

Ann said...

What a touching post. Your photo and post remind me so much of my late father, who passed away a year and one week ago. Seems like just yesterday. He also was in a nursing home, and I felt so guilty living so far away (5k miles). Two years ago I had taken a photo of him, then looking back at them recently, was so hard to see such an active man, left to be bedridden. He wasn't only my father, but my friend. A person I knew I could go to for ANYTHING, to talk about anything and everything, unconditional love.
Thank you for your wonderful post.
Ann
http://www.blogcharm.com/amborg

Colorsonmymind said...

This is a beautiful post and rememberence of him. The music is beautiful too.

Bon & Mal Mott said...

The only comment I can offer is to show you my father.

http://journals.aol.com/b4i8clover/TheDiatomProject/entries/2005/06/19/and-an-island-never-cries/1739

Trust that your father has peace.

Hugs,
Bonnie and Walt

Kim Carney said...

Thank you for sharing such a sweet post about your most-loved dad. I know that must be difficult, then and now. I like the filter effect on the photo, it gives the sense of what is going on without showing too much

Tammy Brierly said...

I know how tough this must have been for you. You were very lucky to have had such a wonderful man as a daddy.

XXOO

Elizabeth said...

Oh my. I don't even have the words. My own father has been in and out of bad health for a decade now and reading posts like this makes me feel lucky to still have him and hopeful that I will be able to honour those I love as brilliantly as you have once the time does come. I'm sorry for your loss and thankful for your strong words.

V said...

Nikki..... Wow!
V

V said...

Thank you for everything.
Hugs,
V

Tish said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes. So sorry that your father couldn't spend more Christmases with you. I am glad you have lots of nice memories of him though.

Carol said...

I am only now beginning to be able to look at photos of me with my mom during her final days. Those photos hurt so much... and yet I'm so glad that they exist.

I'd like to tell you how I came upon your blog, but I'm really not sure! I think it was by way of "." Sound familiar?

Carol

Misty Mawn said...

beautiful & sad. So sorry for your loss.

Cynthia said...

Very Moving post!

I was also a daddy's girl and lost my father when I was 16. It is one of the most traumatic events of my life.

I hope that by posting this it helps in the grieving process.

Red said...

((Nikki)) I am right there I know these feeling to well.
I wish you peace...

Anonymous said...

Your father sounds like he was a wonderful human being, and a warm and loving father. How lucky you were to have had him. Your description of him, and your feelings toward him reminded me so much of my own relationship with my father, who has been gone for 30 years now, and I still miss him. Thanks for sharing .. Tina

Lippy said...

You know, when I finished with this entry, my initial reaction was "how sad". then I looked back at it, and I realized that in there among all the gifts, etc. there was probably a great feeling of some peace and contentment for all. I hope I saw it correctly the second time around.

Jimmy