Wednesday, September 06, 2006

REKINDLED


Last year I was going through an unpleasant time dealing with some online nonsense. It was ongoing, and it was stifling. I made the difficult decision to move on. To get away from all of it. I closed my beloved journal, changed my screen name, and left behind all that was familiar. And it is here that I have blossomed. I have always said that from bad comes good. I have discovered more of the good in myself, and I have definitely found it in others whom I have been blessed to get to know. My decision turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to me. It has even added to the happiness I find in my "real" world. I am grateful for all of that.

Just prior to departing from "that other" place, I had long talks with a good soul with whom I had always been close. He knew I was contemplating a change. He knew of my frustration. Better yet, he understood. He was supportive. He and I had a unique relationship. There is a disparity in our ages, yet I do believe he is an old soul in a younger man's body. Like he said, perhaps we knew each other in a previous life, because we have always had a connection. From the moment we met online, there was that spark of feeling like I had met my kindred spirit. He is also the most curious person I have ever known. His mind wants to absorb and explore all that is the world. And his artistic ability is staggering. He never failed to impress me with his artwork and creativity. He, himself, was in the process of making his own online changes. He made a new screen name he intended to use. A fresh start to go with some real life newness. He told me that name. He asked that we stay in touch. I promised we would. And then, he sent me the following poem. Written just for me on the spur of the moment. He never considered himself a poet and did not even write poetry. Yet, he produced this:


I Wish You Didn't Have To Leave

"I wish you didn't have to leave,"
So said the jay bird to the summer wind
"Your gentle warmth beneath my wing is all I need
This departure I wish you would rescind."

Then the jay bird keened his ear
For the sailing summer breeze speaks light
And only those who truly seek her voice can hear
Her voice of beauty, sharp as night

"Young jay bird, fret yourself a little less,"
Said her voice, drifting cool across the meadow
"For though I go, there is something I must impress
And that is this, dear little fellow:

Life moves as a cycle, turning in seasons
Time has an ebb and flow like the sea
It tells not why, and gives no reasons
It simply turns, like the leaves of your tree."

Jay bird twittered in protest
And quite nearly missed the most important part
"Hush now, child," said the wind brushing softly on the nest
"There is one more thing I wish you to take to heart:

My nature is spirit, and so is yours
Not physical, matter is so inconsequential
I am still and always beneath you as you soar,
Because we met, which was not coincidental

Let not our friendship be marred
And no more woe, you were meant to fly!"
With a mighty gust she nudged him hard
And the smilin' jay bird rose into the sky.


Is that not impossibly beautiful? How I cried when I read it (and find myself still welling up). He knew of my love for the wind. He expressed through that poem the anguish I was feeling, but also the hope that comes with change. And he assured me through those lovely words that we would always remain friends.

I closed my old screen name. And then the awful happened. I could not remember his new screen name. I had apparently not transferred it when I made my change. Countless times I thought about him. Wondering how he was doing. If his life was going well. If his own fresh start was mimicking that of his real world. It literally pained me to be unable to reach him. To check on him. To catch up on his world. To know that he was happy.

Kindred spirits seemingly find each other. It was but days ago that he contacted me. How he was able to do so was even indicative of just how our friendship transcends supposed boundaries. I was elated! It was pure joy to be able to talk to him again. He continues to fascinate me. Enlighten me. And God knows, he is my friend in all ways. When I told him that I had recently read this poem again and wished to place it here in my journal, he said, "It is your poem to do with whatever you wish." Oh, and how I wanted it in here. For others to see and feel the words of this special man.

Sweet Seb? I adore you. For always. And thank you for encouraging me to fly.

8 comments:

Roo said...

What a moving poem, lovely.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Lovely. Such good thoughtful thoughts, too.

Tammy Brierly said...

Oh Nikki this was a very moving post and that poem was fantastic! I am happy you found each other again :)

Kim Carney said...

That is such a sweet story with a happy ending, and a wonderful poem to boot!

Theo said...

nice to find you.

congrats on the contest over at Jodi's.

lovely words and emotion here. i'l be back.

Bon & Mal Mott said...

The connections that we establish online are marvelous and continue to be so.
Hugs,
Bonnie and Walt

Cynthia said...

It is amazing that we do meet people online and though we may never see each other in person, we feel like we know them and have a connection and check up on them to make sure life is okay.

Your tender post touched me...It's a reminder to keep our friends close even when life gets unmanageable.

Thanks for visiting!

Sophisticated Writer said...

What a most touching poem and such a moving story. I really believe so much in soul mates and kindred spirits. I met my husband online and we both almost realized at once (ok may be he did first before me) that there was *something* there and that it was big. Even though the start of the story itself is rather both funny and upsetting :S

Really enjoyed my stay here :) Please visit my blog if you have the time.